Ownership Part if assembled

Is it possible to have a property on a part (.prt) to know whether or not that part is used in a parent assembly? 

=0 if not; =1 if yes; Like what...

Good evening

For this you have SolidWorks Explorer which allows you to see where the file is being used.

Have you tried it?

Otherwise, to my knowledge, there is no possibility of having this information via a property.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Hi @ thewarner

You will have your answer here

http://www.forum-cao-3d.fr/solidworks-mise-en-plan/afficher-dans-nomenclature-utilise-dans-t11467.html

@+ ;-)

Otherwise you have to switch to a SolidWorks Enterprise PDM solution, but that's not the same price anymore!

1 Like
If the assembly is not opened, it's impossible without a PDM, and if it's open it may be possible, but before I look, are you interested?
1 Like

Copy of the message

by Titifonky »

A component cannot know in which assembly it is used. I think that there is only "SolidWorks Enterprise PDM" that allows you to do this.
The other solution is to make a macro that, after scanning the main assembly, registers the name of the "parent" assemblies as a custom property.

Good luck
@+ ;-)
PS: I think our friend Lucas is able to give you a macro, I have the impression that it's his DADA just ask him ;-)

2 Likes

Thank you for your help.

@Lucas: we should be able to know all the time. Otherwise, it loses its interest...

I think it's feasible in macro, but it implies always running this macro in the assembly with each new part. If the user forgets, it doesn't work anymore.

So apart from the PDM, I don't see either...

Thank you for your help.

@Lucas: we should be able to know all the time. Otherwise, it loses its interest...

I think it's feasible in macro, but it implies always running this macro in the assembly with each new part. If the user forgets, it doesn't work anymore.

So apart from the PDM, I don't see either...

If you put a new part you put it in your assembly

so you open your assembly to put it down

so your assembly is open and you launch the macro which will determine the refs of the parts and its quantities

so by this fact you should find the links of the refs on the part 

@+ ;-)

If you don't have any existing parts and assemblies yet (your design office starts completely with SolidWorks), it's not very complicated:

=> You replace the save button with a macro that records and checks it at the same time.

If you already have existing 3D files, it will go through a macro that lists all the existing assemblies on your network, then will open all the existing assemblies to save the part list, well, it seems very complicated!

And the "used in" function of Solidworks Explorer is not enough for your need?

2 Likes

Hello

You can use the myCAD integration tool

Browse your document and test if they are used in an assembly, and if so, add a property to the document 

Kind regards

9 Likes