Consideration of part deformation

Hello to the whole community,

This time of confinement allows me to reflect on unsolved or poorly solved problems concerning the use of the SolidWorks software.

The one for which I am really without a solution concerns the fact that in the reality of the use of an object, we sometimes use the relative deformation of a part to make its assembly.

To illustrate my point, I take a simple case of a folding table, the fixing plate that allows the leg to be locked in the open position is deformed. (See drawing attached) but on the drawing this deformation does not exist, the flat fits into the tube.

How to solve this problem, thank you in advance for all your answers

table.jpg

Hello 

Simply transform your part into sheet metal and insert two folds to compensate for the thickness to arrive on the other side.

1 Like

Here's an example of how to do it

1 Like

Thank you for this solution which allows you to place the constraints on the overall drawing and avoids the problem mentioned.

However, in reality the part has no folds, and I wondered if SolidWorks allowed you to introduce an elastic deformation of a part to respect reality.

I deduce that a priori it is not possible.

Thank you again for your answer.

To make it appear to be no creases, you need to increase the bend radius that you have applied and played with the spacing between the folds to create the illusion of a deformation. I'm on Solidworks 2016, can you post your part or the plan of the part you want to have...

Hello

I'm not sure if this will help you much, but in case you can try the simulation. https://youtu.be/-KIpWBraoX4

As for the integration of deformation into a project, I don't know yet if it's possible through it.

To know if you are looking to have a dynamic elasticity of your part?

Hello to all of you,

I will close this discussion because a priori it is not possible to integrate a deformation into an assembly.

Thank you again for your answers and for your responsiveness. Kind regards

I don't really understand because this deformation is similar to slight folds in real life. see part made under Solidworks 2016

deformation_de_renfort.sldprt

A solution to this problem is through configurations.

All you have to do is draw the undeformed part to make its drawing.

In the assembly, on the other hand, you have to use another configuration of the same part (with the desired deformation).

It's the same kind of problem for hinges and all articulated assemblies found on the market: you buy/manage a component but it can have different geometries.

This is true for all elastic parts (O-rings, springs, etc.).

It is also worth noting that now Solidworks has invented 'flexible components': this is a new feature for 2020. This should allow you to elegantly solve your problem

1 Like