Problem with Solidworks Simulating a sheet metal with a reinforcement

with Simu Xpress, by blocking (Xpress only knows how to totally block one side) the 4 faces, I have 0.57 of displacement.

Attached is my SW15 format piece

test_tole.sldprt

Your result is very decent!

I have a 30mm crease at 90° on the 4 sides of the sheet, I don't think it helps.

I don't see anything that could explain my 13mm

0.57 doesn't seem like much, doesn't it? I can't open your file, I'm in SW14

I have a 30mm crease at 90° on the 4 sides of the sheet, I don't think it helps.

I don't see anything that could explain my 13mm

EDIT: Haaa I have 1.2mm of displacement with the reinforcement and switching to an alloy steel. Could someone give me the values he has on his galvanized steel? Well, that doesn't tell me how you get to 0.57 stefbeno.

EDIT2: I get to 4.2mm without reinforcement, which seems rather coherent to me I think?

Hello

I'd like to try, but I don't have the simulation modules at my job. On the other hand, I know a small software called RDM6 which is free, and which helps very well for beam theory.

3 Likes

here is the SW14 part

The boundary conditions play a huge role.

Can you put your piece online?

Here are my material parameters (I noticed that apart from stainless steel or a few special steels, they are generally the same)

test_tole.sldprt

RDM6 is awesome, super simplified, and easy to use.

3 Likes

Hello

@ stefbeno

The displacements obtained in your calculation model (0.57mm) do not seem to me to be really  representative of reality. Indeed, the mesh (volume) is composed of a single element in the thickness (very thin, by the way; 1mm). To have a more realistic representation, you would have to make a shell mesh or integrate 2 or even 3 elements in the thickness of the sheet metal for a 3D mesh. With a thickness of 1mm, this will represent a relatively long meshing and calculation time... So I suggest starting with a shell mesh. For information, I find a displacement of 24mm with a force of 100N exerced on the sheet metal in 1mm thickness...

(in attachment a small document that illustrates this)

@ maximus

I suggest you put your calculation model online, so I can see if I find an inconsistency, especially at the level of contacts. In any case, the application of stainless steel, non-alloy steel or galvanized steel will have very little influence on the deformation... Since the density and modulus of elasticity are practically the same, the behavior will be almost identical.

Rarka

doc2.pdf
1 Like

After several tries, here's what I get, 1.4mm of displacement seems pretty good to me.

Attached is my model for those who want to try

00004667_simulation_effort.sldprt
1 Like

@Rarka: that's the problem with Xpress on this kind of case (very thin part), while I had forced a fine mesh...

Hello

This result is indeed acceptable.

I advise you to use a standard mesh rather than a curvature-based one to avoid too many distorted elements. But the result shouldn't be too different.

Rarka

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I'm going to stay on my 1.4mm of displacement, it's fine with me.

Thank you again for your precious help.

tag the best answer @ maximus

@+