Projected curve problem

Hi all 

I can't get a sketch profile to follow a trajectory, as you can see in the attached photo...

capture.png

In the context, the part has to follow the surface of a tube and I always end up with either daylight or interference...

cvapture.png

Piece in pj

capel.sldprt

Hello @Thib

It's normal that things don't go the way you want them to.

1.  The use of the sweep function is not the most appropriate for relatively complex fittings since your quarter torus is inclined in relation to the tube. It would be better to use smoothed boss-base with at least a start and end profile and a correct guide curve.
  2. the sketch6 of your Curve2 which serves as your guide curve is not on the right plane. There's no way this will connect to your tube. You have to make an inclined plane every two to draw your two guide curves (or only one to see)
  3.  It will be better to machine your blue part on the image because there you have generated a quarter torus with a helical shape. impossible to achieve without stamping and even then. A cauldron is going to spend a hell of a long time there and it's going to cost you both arms.

My opinion  I have the impression that your part looks more like a cache than a part with another feature (tell us what it is for) if it is a cache

• - start with the plans that will generate the guide curves by projecting the sketch
  • - on your U-shape, put larger wings, for example 20 mm or more instead of 10.5 mm and do a milling to give the shape that will fit the tube.  
  • - make your simple U-shape and rework to fit the shape of the tube.
  • - ask yourself how you are going to make the U-shaped quarter torus unless the part already exists. It is surely easier to make it in three parts welded (but you will see)

If we stay focused only on your drawing , we must at least specify whether the main face of your U is flat or warped, as can be seen in the image I am attaching to you.

Kind regards

2019-12-04_13_07_55-solidworks_premium_2019_sp1.0_-_capel_0___vue_piece_gauchie.sldprt.jpg
3 Likes

Hello Zozo_mp, this part is used for a cooling circuit, and I plan to make it in three parts (2 strips welded on the side).

Not seeing how to go about sheet metal, I try with a smoothing.

It is certain that the ideal would be for me to model it in sheet metal (especially since I am the one who will make the part afterwards!)

If you have a solution, I'm all for it!

Thank you for your more than complete answer,

Kind regards

1 Like

Good evening@Thibcapelli

Are you going to make this piece in 3 parts?  
that is to say, the large surface of the U and the two wings of the U.

It's not hard to achieve:

if you put an inclined plane (since your part is inclined) which will preposition the large one on the face, then once this face is done, you make the two planes of the two ends according to the angle you want (perpendicular or vertical to the axis of the tube)

So you have both profiles of the two small wings and the large one the flat surface.

Once everything is flattened, you make your MEP and you have the sophisticated shape for laser cutting or tracing if done with a handover.

Kind regards

1 Like

An image worth a lot of speeches, here is the principle in a few minutes.

Just add  the two small wings with 2 different sketches and that's it. I say sketches for the two little wings because your flattening will be easier.

Kind regards

2019-12-04_19_46_59-solidworks_premium_2019_sp1.0_-_courbe_projetee.sldprt.jpg
2 Likes

Good evening

Here is the second phase that generates the small wing (which can be flattened once your whole thing has been transformed into sheet metal.

Here I joined the small wing and the big wing, but it is enough that the big and the small wing do not touch each other for everything to fall flat without PB. (The big one is already flat)

Just proceed in the same way for the second small wing.

You'll notice that everything starts with shots at the right angles and especially with dimensioned and totally constrained sketches.  ;-)  ;-)

Kind regards

2019-12-04_20_02_17-solidworks_premium_2019_sp1.0_-_courbe_projetee_2eme_phase.sldprt.jpg
2 Likes

Good evening Zozo_mp

I'm sending you a new screenshot, the part is not exactly as you drew it.

The piece I need to make is the highlighted one

Kind regards

capture.png

Attention @Thibcapelli

OOOoooopsss I got the wrong direction but that doesn't change the principle.

I'll give you the part in the right way around and I'll post it again (sorry for the misdirection)

Kind regards

EDIT: @thibcapelli saw the misdirection before me ;-)

2 Likes

Good evening @tous

Holds the best answer to closed the subject.....     MDR

See you next good answer guys   ;-) ;-) ;-)

3 Likes

When we see the last screenshot that sets the context, we can see that we could go directly on a helical without having to make a projection...
Given the number of spiral staircase flattening problems that have been dealt with, it was torched in less than 2!

2 Likes