Component configuration problem following a STEP recovery

Hello, I am having a problem configuring my components in an assembly to be able to make several configurations of this assembly.

I have a 3D block of a part in different lengths in AutoCAD that I would like to retrieve in SolidWorks.

So I saved this block as a STEP, then retrieved the STEP via SolidWorks. This gave me an assembly, in which I have a .stp assembly that itself contains components in .stp

And from there I was thinking of creating configurations for each length of my part, but I realize that SolidWorks doesn't consider my .stp components as configurable components (the "configure component" function is not present), so when I delete or hide the component in a configuration, it is also so in the others.

I don't see how to solve this problem?

I have an idea to get around the problem by making a step of each length and then to do the assembly but quite tedious.

IF anyone has a more effective solution? Thank you

Hello

If only the final length counts (and on a geometry that is not too complicated), I will merge everything into one part and I will manage the configurations of this part (with a barbaric thing like you cut your part in 2 and you move a body to have the desired length and you do an extrusion again at the end to connect the 2 bodies).

If it's more complicated, you have to go through assembly on which you can apply the principle above for parts changing length.

1 Like

Agree with @froussel or instead of moving the bodies, I also sometimes move faces to lengthen the part (if not too complicated)

These are a kind of support brackets, the geometry changes with the width of the supported shelves.

In short, you can't get away with it so easily with a cut-and-splicing system.

I ended up making a part for each length and then bringing everything together in an assembly with a configuration for each length.

But the more models there are, the more tedious it will be, so I'll still be curious to know if there is a more clever process.