Guide curve problem in a scan surface

Hello

I'm quite new to solidworks and I'm getting into the surface to make a robot cover. From what I've seen, the scanned surface function is well suited for this.
However, I run into problems when I try to do it with guide curves. I enclose the image of my sketches:

I was careful that the sketches were the same length and started from the profile.

When I try my function I get:

I don't understand why my sweep doesn't go all the way to the end of the axis. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your answers;)

Hello

In the options tab, try to put "None" in Profile Twist.

If you have the source file, I'm interested in testing it on my side

Nicholas

I already had no twist, I'm attaching the file to you.

before3.sldprt

Thank you for your file,

Is this what you want to do?

I removed the guide curve to put it as a trajectory

Nicholas

sldworks_mlm7gcioc0.png

No I managed to do that also when I was fiddling around to look for how to do it, the final result must look like this:

It is a piece that goes on top, so it must take up the overall shapes. In the idea, the profile is at the top of the image and the axis goes down to the bottom.

Hello

Can you post the images as an attachment? We don't see much. Not all of us know how to read the recent version file. For the attachment use this button

possibly a step of the room (only the room) that you want to "dress"

I'll put the step of the room I want to cover with my hood, as well as the PNGs as an attached file

totem_p04115p-praa_050_d.step
balayage1.jpg
balayage2.jpg
globale.jpg

Do you want to dress just the room or the whole set?

I only want to dress the front of the piece as in the picture (forgive my talent paint). At first, I try to make a simple design, to understand how to make the function work, I will do the details that fit the shape better later.

zone_capot.jpg

Hello

If it doesn't go all the way, it means that your guide curve is made up of several segments. So your extrusion stops at the end of the first guide curve

You have to use the Adjust Spline tool which converts the "N" geometries into a single      spline (look in the SW help with Adjust Spline it's very well explained)

Kind regards

Hello

Looking at the existing sketches, I have the feeling that the function to use is a smoothing rather than a sweep.
Does the expected shape look like this:

If so, the function exists in both surface and volume.
Your version of SW?

1 Like

Hello

Compared to your initial question [[why doesn't my scan go to the end of the axis.]] I answered but in my opinion given the complexity of the cover it won't succeed, suaf by putting several volumes together. It would be better to start with a full volume composed of several merged volumes, which will already not be easy to do, and then turn it into a shell.

The other solution is to work while on the surface and then thicken but if you don't master the surface very well you will exhaust yourself.

Kind regards

I had already used the adjust spline function but it seems that the problem comes from there anyway because when I increase the size of the first segment, the surface goes further (I use soldworks 2019). 

Thank you m.blt, that's indeed what I'm trying to do, however I can't do the same thing as you, do you use the smoothed surface function well? If not, can you send me the part so that I understand how you did it. Thank you very much 

I had already used the adjust spline function but it seems that the problem comes from there anyway because when I increase the size of the first segment, the surface goes further (I use soldworks 2019). 

Thank you m.blt, that's indeed what I'm trying to do, however I can't do the same thing as you, do you use the smoothed surface function well? If not, can you send me the part so that I understand how you did it. Thank you very much 

The file is attached, in SW 2019 version.
I "softened" the guide curves of rectangular shapes by roughly approaching them with splines.
This results in a single surface without angular connections.

Kind regards.

avant_3.sldprt

Hello 

I managed to do what I wanted thanks to your advice. I am now coming back to you to find out if you have any advice to go further. Indeed, my current result looks like this (attachment):

And I'd like to fill the void in red that's present. Do you have any idea how to do this easily? I was thinking of making a sketch on a new plane according to the sides I am interested in and then making an extrusion to my first surface. Is that a good idea, do you see other possible solutions?

sans_titre.png

If I understood correctly...
Personally, I would stay in the field of surface functions:
- by extending the basic shape of the bonnet to the left,
- by making a cut with the Surface-Restrict function, supported by a spline in a 2D sketch created in the face plane.
Principle applied to the attachment.
Kind regards.

avant_4.sldprt

This is exactly what I needed, thank you very much, I will now be able to apply it to my room with the actual dimensions.

Have a nice day