Problem of extreme slowness in view in section

Hello

I'm a high school student and I have to use Solidworks 2019 Student Edition for a project in class, we have to make a bike stem and its handlebars. The assembly is really not heavy and it is really very simple.

In my homework, I have to make a cross-sectional view, so I press the "cross-sectional view" tool of my software and the view is made but impossible to move the section, solidworks is completely congested. I don't think it's a problem coming from my computer (lenovo thinkpad, i5 3320M 2.60 GHz, intel HD graphics 4000, 8gb of ram and I'm on Windows 10 home).

Do you have any ideas of where the problem can come from?

I know that the cross-sectional view worked perfectly a week ago so it's really strange.

Thank you for your help! Hoping to be able to reuse SolidWorks correctly:)

pb_coupe.png
1 Like

Hello

Already solidworks works very badly or not on w10, moreover the student version is really very limited, ... I'm not a computer pro, but that's the case with me with the student versions.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Thank you for responding quickly!

In this case should you consider switching to a Windows 8 or 7?

Hello

It seems to me that there is no limitation on the student versions but I'm not sure.

"lenovo thinkpad, i5 3320M 2.60 GHz, intel HD graphics 4000, 8gb of ram and I'm on Windows 10 home" : it seems very (very very) light to me to run Solidworks, I would change my computer ... see HERE for minimum system requirements.

Kind regards

5 Likes

hello D.roger,  thank you for your answer.

Here is the part that we need to make, the problem is that a week ago I made a cross-sectional view of this same part and it worked perfectly.

if it can ever help/ is important, I had to modify and add values in my regedit to have access to RealView. Could it have caused some kind of malfunction? 

capture.png

After testing, drawing is also impossible...

Changing values in the Registry is always risky, then wanting to do RealView with an integrated graphics card is not the best and then 8GB of RAM is half the minimum required. It also seems to me that you need Windows 10 pro or enterprise for Solidworks ...

Kind regards

5 Likes

@A.R: SW is guaranteed to be functional with W10 since version 2015SP5.0

@d.roger: Dassault does not indicate anything about the recommended subversion of windows. And given the work to be done, a flush configuration is more than enough.

@pauldurieuxanot:
- It's clear that playing with the registry to make realview work, which eats up a lot of resources, is not the right idea. Start by putting your registry back in order and try again.
- I don't know if it's a request from teachers, but I see more and more tendency to want to render...
- your message "After testing, drawing is also impossible... ", bothers me: in what way do you do the cut? You say that the drawing is impossible, what exactly happens?

2 Likes

Hello

@stefbeno : See note 7 in the image below, these are the minimum system requirements for SOLIDWORKS and SW PDM.

Maybe a misunderstanding on my part.

Kind regards

2 Likes

To be honest, I didn't go that low down the page... And that sounded familiar, but I thought it wasn't anymore.

From experience, to display a room or 2, on a home version with a basic configuration, it works.
I think it's more of a limitation compared to the use of PDM (most of the difference between pro and family is in the management of the network).

Ok corrections!

First of all, good evening to all and thank you very much for your answers.

I took the initiative to reinstall Windows and reitialize my computer and as if by magic everything becomes possible, the cross-sectional views are fluid and the drawing too!

so for all the people who are in the same situation, reset Windows by reinstalling it via a key or a CD.

Have a good end of the evening/day

2 Likes