Reconstruction problem on bent sheet metal

Hello everyone, I'm coming to you today because I have a problem with Solidworks (2017 SP3):

I have a part with some dimensions driven by equations (linked to an external file)

On this same part, I have two edge folds that are set to be parallel to other faces. When I create or edit the function, no problem.

On the other hand, as soon as I change one of my dimensions in my file, I get a reconstruction error "The Tangent Fold and Tangent to Fold options are only valid for bend angles greater than 90 degrees"

Impossible to acknowledge the error with the rebuild button, on the other hand if I edit (without modifying anything) the functions, the errors disappear

Have you ever had this case or do you have an idea on how to solve this problem?

Thank you

Kind regards

Hello

Could you post a screen print of your building tree and more specifically of the edit function you use to create your folds 

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your answer, here is a first screenshot

erreur_sw.bmp
1 Like

And here is the capture with the parameters, knowing that the two folds are set up in a similar way

erreur_sw1.bmp

Could you also post an image with the error message and your coin. I could only work on your piece tomorrow because I don't have Sw at hand.

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for your commitment, here is the file

There are variables linked to an external file, you can replace them directly:

- Module number = 1

- Bandwidth = 200

- Module length 1 = 500

- Modulus length 2 = 300

- Module length 3 = 400

- Compact version = 0

chassis_-_carter_dessous.sldprt

And here is attached the error window

Kind regards

erreur_sw2.bmp

I would also need the TXT file associated with your part.

1 Like

Here is attached

configuration_module.txt

The problem comes more from the notching apparently, by modifying the position of the sheet metal bent by fold on the outside on your 2 plies it works.

https://i.imgur.com/x9heLtv.png

Result (image car sw2018):

https://i.imgur.com/dcVcacR.png

Solidworks often bugs when there is a crossing of 2 folds. You either have to do as I did (fold offset or a homemade notch with a fold departure shift.

2 Likes

Just activate the notch function in your folds and choose rectangle with a ratio of 0.5 and it will work. See Attachment

capture.jpg
2 Likes

Hello sbadenis and thank you for your answer, here is what I tried in turn:

- Put the fold on the outside on the two folds 

- Offset the edges of the folds in "Edit the profile of the folded sheet", I shifted 2mm on each side for each fold

- Remove links with my equations to leave fixed sides

These 3 solutions work in reconstruction but if I edit a dimension in the previous functions (whether via the equations or manually), the errors reappear

Thank you for your answer ac cobra 427, I had already tried with the different notches, all of them work in reconstruction but if I edit one of the functions before, the errors reappear.

I'm attaching a 3min video so that you can see the generation of the error when I re-edit a function, even without modifying anything

erreur_swv.mp4
1 Like

I just found out why it doesn't work. In your functions as sheet metal bent on edges, you force the angle. Where there is 90° just below it, you tell him that the crease must be parallel to the front. If you remove face from the square and put outer virtual intersection instead of tangent fold below the 8 and 10 mm dimension it will be  good, your angles will be editable.

1 Like

Thank you very much, indeed it works! In addition, the "Tangent fold" box becomes grayed out when you put back a perpendicular and parallel face