Problem edition family of SW2017 parts. SP3

Hello

I just downloaded the SP3 version (SW2017) thinking of solving a bug, but without success...

I can no longer display the part family when I request to edit them. (right click on the family / edit the part family).

If I look in the part family definition, the link is still correct, but SolidWorks throws me away when I validate.

Has a user ever encountered this kind of bug and could guide me on a possible solution?

Thank you in advance.

Do you have the problem only on one part or is it recurring?

It sometimes happens that a family of parts is broken and we have to start it again, it rarely and randomly happens but it has already happened to us 2 times.

Otherwise if it's on all the families of parts you should try to create one to see if the defect is also found.

The problem concerns all the families of parts that are controlled by an excel file.

This "control" file contains all the definition data of the SolidWorks parts.

By creating a new part with a part family, I can actually edit the part family, but when I want to link it to the file, it crashes.

I'll try on a colleague's workstation to see...

What is the version of excel,

See compatibility below:

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

OK compatibility: Windows7 S1 64 bits / Excel 2010.

In addition, everything worked very well during the last use, and no evolution on the program.

I tried on a colleague's workstation, and crash.

I wanted to attach a part in this message for testing but bug too!! (Zen!!)

I think it's going to become more difficult than complicated!

I will renew my attempt to join a test piece in the next week.

Thank you sbadenis for the interest in my problem !

Attached is the test file (save your work in progress, it can crash!)

wax-grille.sldprt
1 Like

... and the part family file.

feuille_calcul_wax_empr_proto_grille.xlsx

Hi all

New info about the problem I have with editing part families:

After editing the part family from Solidworks, I manage to retrieve it in excel by pressing "Display". (still no display in Solidworks!)

The problem is that there are actually 2 identical part family files, except for the name:

1 excel file with a name in .xlsx (normal) and an excel file with a name in . SLDPRT (a little less normal)?!?

An excel file in .sldprt???? uh no .sldprt it's a solidpart file!!

Cdt

G.

That's the bug!!

I don't understand why  the name of the Excel file is in . SLDPRT when I view it.

I just posted a screen shot of the different files displayed.

wx_problem_famille_piece.gif

Hello

I just tried your family of parts and didn't notice any issues. No crashes.

Sorry I can't help you.

Hello and thank you Yves for taking a few moments to look at the files.

Since the part family works at your computer, would there be any Solidworks or Excel parameters to adjust on my workstation?

But once again, what escapes me is that everything was working and I didn't change anything.

Thank you

1 Like

Hello, by any chance did you try to re-install office after the Solid update??? because during the update, could the links between Solid and office have been broken!?

Cdt

1 Like

I'm coming back to the XL file with sldprt extension.
Is this file in the directory or is it only on display?

If it's in the directory, what happens if you open with SW?

If it's only on the display, it's when you modify the family table from SW that it appears? In which case (I don't guess, I can't test for now) maybe it's just SW that indicates that it's the file linked to the part?

1 Like

Hello

I don't either, no problem but I'm in 2016.

may the force be with you.

1 Like

Hello G., hello Stefbeneo

I didn't reinstall Office, but the bug to start before the Solidworks SP3 update. I'll still see with the IT department to reinstall Office, it shouldn't hurt.

For the .sldprt file, it is indeed only the name it has on display, if I save as, it goes back to .xls, but I have 2 files of identical parts families waiting to be displayed in excel and which are still not displayed in SW. 

the problem seems to be a link with Excel and solidworks. I also have custom properties in the Excel sheet, how can we check that they are not the cause of this problem?

1 Like

Hello

Try changing this setting, set "on demand".

1 Like

Otherwise save it as your excel file and recreate the link between the part and your copy, may be a problem related to the xlsx file.

2 Likes

Hello 

Try keeping only one xls file, paste it on your desktop and in the parts family properties, select From File and check link to file. 

Tell us if it works 

1 Like