SolidWorks Launch Problem

Hello

I recently purchased the student version of SolidWorks the day before last night (properly installed. It worked.) But since yesterday nothing has worked and it annoys me knowing that I spend my days finding a solution rather than revising. My problem is that when launching SW, the mini launch window is displayed with " Starting..."  But the window seems to freeze and it closes without any error page, nothing. I understand that this is a recurring problem and that by going to the registry and changing the name from " SolidWorks_2024 " to something else it works so that's what I did and it does indeed work well. I click on " Part " to create a new room and after 15sec (barely enough time to make a rectangle) SW freezes and ends up closing without telling me anything and I am forced to redo the manipulation of the registers so that once I want to make a part it closes by itself in the space of 15sec... An endless circle.

For the record, I'm on MacBook Pro, M2 Pro chip and 16gb of RAM. I have my VM on a 2TB LaCie external hard drive so that I don't have my VM on my computer. On the Parallels settings I removed everything that is shared between MacOs and the VM which is on Windows 11 ARM (from what I understand it's essential to remove this option.). I gave 8 cores and 10gb of RAM to the VM and I use Parallèles Pro so I don't understand why the problem would come from there (I also put the " CAD " profile for optimal performance). When installing SolidWorks (I did it 2 times this weekend) I unchecked the boxes so that SW Elec and SW CAM don't download (I understand that there was something wrong with these 2 software when you use Parallèles but let's say that in the stage I'm at in my studies I don't have a high enough level to use SW Elec and then I'm more attracted by the mecha.). I also tried to run SW with SW Rx with openGL but it doesn't work. I also fiddled with the registers in " AllowList " because I saw it somewhere but still nothing...

Do you have any tips to give me to make it work properly? I'm also not in a hurry in my training, I saw that for the moment they want us to use PTC Creo 9 but let's say that I'm a curious person and that I used SW in high school so when I saw the discount they made for students with the addition of the 2 certifications to put on the resume if we pass them frankly I jumped at the opportunity but we have to that it works so that I can train!

Thank you to those who will help me!

The recommended configuration for Solidworks is not a virtual machine under MAC, already that under windows depending on the graphics card or configuration, it is sometimes complicated it seems more than likely to me that this installation under a virtual machine is doomed to a systematic failure, unless there is a stroke of luck.

When you manage to manipulate the registry to modify a key to make it look like something is functional, is it so surprising that the software crashes?

2 Likes

That said, I've already had Solidworks under a virtual machine... And it was going pretty well at the time.
But it must be recognized that it was to run Ubuntu and not a Mac

Based on the link below from Dassault ... it's not too advisable to use the apple to do Solidworks:

" However, the limitation of this support is that, even if it installs without issue, SOLIDWORKS may not work properly because Macs rarely have graphics cards supported by the software ."

You didn't have a version compatible with Mac in your versions?

What discount are you talking about? The Student License is free (especially if your high school already uses this software...)
And then I wonder: Where did you buy your licenses...

1 Like