Recurring problem drawing view in draft quality

Hello, small (or even big problem!): I am quite regularly confronted with assembly drawings whose views remain in draft quality. On the one hand it's a bit disgusting and on the other hand any dwg export is impossible.

The problem is that it's impossible for me to change the quality of these views until I find the part(s) that are "bugging". Because the problem comes from some parts (various and varied) that seem "corrupted".

Once the part is identified and corrected, everything goes smoothly, no more problems with the quality of the views until the next bug in a part.....!

Has anyone ever been confronted with this?

Hello

In System Option>Display Style are you set to High Quality or Draft Quality for view edges?

1 Like

Hi, I am well set in high quality.

This also happens to us on SW 2015 and when you have a few hundred or even thousands of pieces you can always search...

On the other hand, it is often due to imported parts.

The import diagnosis must be made as soon as the parts are imported (when it solves the problems). If you carry out the diagnosis on parts that you have already used, you risk losing all your constraints...

1 Like

It's the game of the needle in the haystack!! On the other hand, this has never happened to me on imported parts.

You can use Tool>Evaluate>Check to identify your defective parts in your assembly, after the problem is that it shows you the problematic faces/edges but not directly the part.

Edit: As deflandre.geoffrey_1 says, once your part is corrected you usually lose your references!

2 Likes

I'm curious to follow this post, if a solution I don't know comes to fruition.

Unless I'm mistaken, the problem of "Draft Views" in a MEP does not come from 3D, but it is because of some operations performed by the user, during the MEP (non-respect of the operations/philosophy of use of SolidWorks).

If I'm not mistaken, at the beginning, the "draft" views didn't exist in Solidworks.

The feature was added at some point with "manual" management by the user.

Then they switched the management to "auto", but with the possibility of going back to manual, depending on the manipulations during the MEP.

1 Like

By default I am configured in high quality in the options and at no time do I change this.

For my problem it comes from 3D. As soon as a part is "bugged", using simple operations in the drawing (creation of the plan and then creation of a view) it is already in draft quality, or the created view does not display the model.

I finally manage to correct this via 3D by simply editing a function of the part so that the "corrupted" faces or bodies rebuild themselves well. I would like to point out that no error is visible in the tree of my room.

Once this manip is done, no more worries in the drawing! But it is impossible for me to identify the cause of such a bug on my parts... :(

The switchover I am talking about "Auto/Manual Management" is not done by the user interface, but by the user's behavior.

I've never seen a "3D Piece" that forces the tipping point.

I believe there is a mix of "cause and effect" and (as usual) a misunderstanding of the "draft/high/auto" quality of a view.

I prefer to let others give their answer...

1 Like

I'd be curious if you could explain to me the "Auto / Manual management" Olivier42.

It doesn't speak to me at all and if by mistake our user behavior was not compliant, it could explain some things!

The classic user error:

Never do "major actions" when the views are still in the hourglass, only "minor actions" are allowed.

After that, it depends on the training you have had with the software, and by which person.

This is just the chapter "the drawings".

(For my part, I was not trained at Axemble)

"May the dark side reign over the galaxy... "

Olivier, can you do things when solidworks displays an hourglass? for my part if I click somewhere while he is "thinking" most often it's SW crash...

When SW set up this "Hourglass on MEP views", it was to allow the user to work "a little" with minor actions, place dimensions, place annotations, zoom, move, etc...

At home it always worked, without crashes.

Geoffrey, by dint of updating SW not in the most adequate way, we create bugs, or crashes, we advise next time:

Backup of settings by screenshot, by SLDREG, removal of the program and add-ons, PC restart, open Windows Explorer with hidden folders, deleted residues (program, program file, programdata, at users too, etc...) and deletion in the SLDREG.

From there, we start again on a clean system, for a new clean install. Yes, it takes a little more time.

PS: I've seen bugs disappear like that.

1 Like

When you talk about updating SW you mean major versions and SPs? I used to use option copy between major versions but I've stopped for several versions. On the other hand, I don't completely clean the installation as well.

It's true that it takes longer but if it's to have a more reliable system!

That said, I don't have the impression that it changes anything for parts created previously (library part for example) and converted as SW evolves.

No need to "purge" for SPs.

Yes, for the Biblio, it's better to overwrite/update the files.

There is a tool to do this, in:

Start / Programs / SW 20XX / SW Tools / Scheduler

Otherwise and for the "draft view" pb??

I'm dry! I have a ticket in progress but I can't provide them with "proofs":(

And by respecting the SolidWorks method-phisophy?

i.e. no major actions, and let the hourglasses work.

Small file to illustrate the kind of "bug" that appears on some of my pieces. In this case, one of the faces has "disappeared".

Editing one of the functions or a "Ctrl-Q" corrects the problem. But for that, I have to identify my part before the assembly.

On the drawing side:

- from the part file = no model visible in the view according to the chosen display style

- from the assembly file = all views in draft quality mode (non-modifiable mode until the part is corrected)

PS: thank you for your answers by the way!

carter.sldprt

oh yes, indeed there is a problem, and it's not 3D import.

to check if the bug is "in the file", because in order not to spread it, you shouldn't "copy and paste" it but more from an empty/clean model...

This allows us to improve the CAD database, and not to propagate certain bugs (when we have located them).

In any case, it doesn't take away the fact (small reminder) of "respecting the hourglass" when calculating MEP views.

Knowing that I had also noticed that in some cases, if you "break" the eyesight and it becomes in draft quality, there is a risk that the view will become buggy, and can no longer get back to "Auto Management (High)".

Great, thank you Drix49 for enlightening me on the problem of draft quality views that remain so without me understanding why and despite the fact that I ask to switch them to high quality.

And thank you dbz for the Tool>Evaluate>Check tip. It helped me find the source of my problem.

I was about to redo my assembly from A to Z, you are taking a nice thorn out of my side.