PROENGINEER: Export only the "skin" of an assembly

A supplier must send us the geometry of his creation, so that we can integrate it into our development. The supplier's realization must be, for us, like a black box. The vendor uses ProE but doesn't know how to perform such a function. And we work with CatiaV5.

Thank you in advance for your help

Hello

I may say a mistake but it seems to me that when you export a part or an assembly in an IGES or STEP format, all the functions are transformed into surface.

The file can therefore be used under any software and you can delete the unnecessary faces (and incidentally keep only the part envelope).

I often do this to pass on my parts/assemblies to my 3D printing supplier.

To be taken with a pinch of salt, I don't know if that's really what you want to do.

Good luck

Hello Jose-accessa.

Thank you for your answer.  Indeed in STEP or IGES the format is easily transferable. However, these formats without post-processing do not allow the internal construction details to be hidden, and this is precisely where the cat has a foot ache. Our supplier (its seller) is currently unable to obtain a post-processed IGES or STEP model from his RD . That's why I'm looking for a "miracle" function that would allow the said seller, to go to his DR and give him the instructions to make a "skin". I admit it, the problem is more political than technical.  

Hello

Frankly, if the R&D design office can't do a simplified export step, it's ... that he does not want!

Just take the product, remove everything that is not visible (del del del ...), transform the whole thing into a part and export like the part in STEP or STL.

In 15 minutes it's done under ProE  like under CATIA or SW or ....

The real question seems to me to be rather: why "y" "don't want ;o)

Have a good week

Marc

Hello Roberto,

This is a problem that comes up a lot among CAD users. CoreTechnologie specializes in CAD simplification. With the 3D_Evolution software, it is possible to proofread any assembly (CatiaV5, ProE, SW, NX, Inventor, etc.), simplify it in the form of an envelope to protect the know-how or lighten the assembly, and then finally convert it into another CAD format.

Many automotive and aeronautics manufacturers use 3D_Evolution to simplify their large automatic assemblies to avoid their designers wasting time doing this manually with their design software...

The advantage is that the results are in the form of solids, they are not packets of surfaces, so they can be used when you read them again.

Here is an example video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UMyY6kZvog

The software is batchable, you can launch your assembly list and get the simplified results a little later.

Another video may be more telling on the simplification of a V6 engine block

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bdphpoFAtc

and info about this module:

http://www.coretechnologie.com/Simplifier_3D_Evolution_PRODUITS

@+

Hello

Indeed, it is possible that the supplier does not put any good will into it...

For me, three internal solutions to Creo/Pro:

1-file exported in simplified envelope (surface, or triangle, or merged solid) with several precision and masking options. Then IGES or STEP export

2-copy the outer surfaces and only these, then export only this new set of surfaces to an IGES or STEP.

3-Have the AAX (advanced assembly) module and create an associative envelope encompassing the model.

IGES or STEP export

Be careful, 2 and 3 require a little time!

And in any case, an encompassing envelope without anything in it in 1 click, I don't think it exists directly in Creo/Pro.

There you go

After seeing the video of simplifying coretechnologie.com then you need a dedicated module like 3D_Evolution.

As the notion of "secret" is likely to take up space in 3D file exchanges, it is possible that each solution (ProE, Catia, ...) will develop a "plug-in", to be followed...

A+

Marc

Ps: thank you Jérôme for the info 3D_Evolution, I didn't know