Special drilling profile with drilling assistance

Hi all.

Is there a way, with the " drilling assistance" function, to create a non-standard hole?
Let me explain. I would like to make a hole with a rather peculiar drilling profile. The fact that I can do this without having to create a revolve plan and then a repetition per point using the piercing assist seems quite logical to me.
My use of Creo probably dictates this way of doing things, but I can't find the " sketch of the hole " option to be able to make the shape

Are you aware of this kind of option?

Hello
Not sure I understood correctly (not knowing Creo), in the assistance for drilling there is enough to do " specific " by selecting the " Old piercings " option

Edit: Apart from the drilling function, you have to create the sketches and the plans unless you go through a circle sketch, make the hole and then put a thread annotation

1 Like

Hi @Cyril.f .
I don't think it's quite what I want to do. You find yourself having to juggle old Solidworks functions.

But I got away with it by cheating the software. I started by making a " classic " hole and then I right-clicked on the sketch of the profile and I modified the profile.
Which gives me a shape like this:

All you have to do is validate, and off you go. Sldw grumbles a little with exclamation marks, but it's going to be a joke

That's what I said at the beginning, not sure I understood the question :smiley:
So as it stands, apart from a material removal per revolution, the drilling functions of the drilling assistance do not know how to do this basic (cylindrical/conical hole at best).

3 Likes

The most annoying restriction (and it's nothing to say) of the drilling assistant remains the fact of going through a " Revolution " removal of material. (And yes, even for groove :thinking:type drilling...)

The only possible alternative (in my opinion) is to use the library functions to perform extrusion type material removal (most of the time for the realization of polygonal impressions of the " insert" type).

There was a time when I tried to associate a library function with the drilling wizard (at least with its sketch) to retrieve the dimension information in the drawing... (Custom drillings + Library function = geometry well rated in the Drawings.) … but I gave up on it after too many failures...

3 Likes

The fact that the function requires the use of a revolution does not bother me in itself... On the other hand, the fact that the creation of one's own shape is not allowed bothers me a little more!

It just goes to show that we are always upset by what concerns :rofl: us :sweat_smile:

Do you have an example of the profiles of the desired piercings?

• If the geometry is similar to an existing type of drilling, it is possible to create a new Standard via the Toolbox (which manages the drilling wizard).
    (note: to access the Toolbox options, you must go through a Solidworks premium license or higher)...
    => See my tutorial:
    https://forum.mycad.visiativ.com/t/taraudage-m13x0-5/107657/7
2 Likes

The profile I put 2post above for example.

The problem is that it's to do 1shoot in general. I need this profile for this design but not necessarily later. As a result, I don't really want to create new standards :wink:

What about Advanced drilling?

Don't forget to save your " atypical " profile as " Favorites "...

https://help.solidworks.com/2022/french/Solidworks/sldworks/r_advanced_hole_type_pm.htm?rid=153185

5 Likes

It's going to be a joke. Thank you @Maclane

… hmmmmm!! :thinking:
… It's curious, the piercing function (if we can call it that) in your screenshot ... is already called " Advanced Drilling"... Does the name change when you try to " Force " the piercing assistant?
Or is it the function you have already used?

2 Likes

@Maclane, I used the " drilling assistance" feature with a straight hole. Then I edited the sketch of the profile to do what I wanted with it.

I just re-tested, the function doesn't change its name when editing the profile. So I guess I had tested the " AdvancedDrilling " feature when I edited my profile :laughing:

1 Like