Point-on-curve projection

Hi everyone,

Small problem...

Following a request from a prospect, I am looking to recover the results of a "horse saddle" shape in relation to a reference plane.

These resultants are distributed every 5 degrees, i.e. 72 resultants.

It's easy to draw it with a hand, but I'm trying to get the points automatically by one or two functions.

Once I have the points, the get coordinate utility is able to give me the values relative to the plane.

Thanks in advance

capture.png

Hello;  

I don't know if it's me but I don't really understand what you're waiting for exactly.

Cédric.

It is true that I find it difficult to express this request in prose:( 

The final need is to machine the end of a tube that will be grafted onto the middle of a larger tube (see image 1). 

To do this, we need each resulting length with respect to a straight plane see distance on frame 2

It's easy to trace these results one by one but I want to have them in a more automated way. 

image_1.png

Image 2

image_2.png

already if you rate 1/4 it's simpler

After what exactly are you looking for?

if it's to carry out a

create the tap tubes, cut these tubes lengthwise, transform them into sheet metal and make a developed flattening

@+ ;-)

See this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJr0dHth_cM

in theory you get what you ask for

@+ ;-)

Hello

I think that with a macro it's quite simple, even if you've never done one!

1) Add the macro toolbar.

2) Create a macro by learning with the record button

3) Be careful, the macro then records all the clicks and presses on the keyboard

4) Select the Dimension Tool

5) Select a point

6) Place the dimension

7) Stop the macro

Then, modify the macro according to the name of the point, to include a loop:

For i = 1 to 72

'Select the point(i)

Loop

The other solution would be to make a 72-pointed star function with a sketch repetition, and measure each edge.

1 Like

Hello

In this case, you do 4 times too much work. Indeed, for this geometry, once you have all the points between a mini and a maxi (from a bump to a hollow), then it repeats in reverse order by 1/4 of a turn.

You talk about machining the end of the tube. Do you do that in CN? You would then just need to have the position of the center and the radius of the tube on which you are leaning. After that, the machine manages.

Or slightly different but even faster, I think you can find the answer to your need simply with Excel via a simple trigo calculation. Example attached.

With this you have all the necessary coordinates to recreate the shape of the tube seen from the side (= the trajectory of your cutter).

xy_tube.xls

Hello 

Thank you for your answers but I solved my problem by a library function that I drag and drop on the tube. 

I thus obtain all the results (see attached image)

The advantage is that the cut can be at an angle or in the axis.

resultat.png