Transmission project for carousel

Hello

for a project, I want to rotate a carousel weighing about 500KG with central  pivot by indexing every 20°

The starting point is a small footprint: maximum height available = 120 mm

The rotation can be done with all possible systems (transmission by toothed belts etc.)

The carousel must be able to be handled so the electrical or tire connections will be fast

If you have any ideas, I'm interested

carroussel.pdf

How about a good old Maltese cross system?

We can perhaps imagine using an indexing electric motor with a toothed belt transmission or a pneumatic system of the pneumatic sequential indexer type (I attach an example of the latter system.

plateau_indexeur_sequentiel.png

Hello

I've been working on carousels for a very long time and the questions that arise

How many stops on a rotation (20° = 18 stops)

Stopping time (on one engine rotation the percentage of time for the stop/motion time zone (105°--210°/360°)

the diameter of the carousel for inertia and centrifugal force (500kg is different at 100 or 300 mm in diameter)

In mechanics there are:

http://www.cdsindexers.com/

http://www.camcoindex.com/index.htm

But if we are gold standards it is immediately very expensive.

Then there are the servo motors with a configurable servo drive but which require mechanical reminders with mechanical references to have precision at each turn.

In the space allotted always provide a mechanical torque limiter whatever the elec or mecha solution, because for servo drives (SEW type the torque is at 300% original so once all the guides are torn off, there may be that the motor stops....

1 Like

SEPM I say maybe a but I think there must be an official document for everything related to the safety of this kind of merege maybe to you the information??

Kind regards

Bastien

1 Like

In my opinion the Maltese cross is also the best solution

Indeed, I forgot an important data: the carousel has a diameter of 900mm

I had started on a Bruschless motor with toothed belt coupled with a PLC to manage the rotations, but with the inertia of the mess, the stop, the motor and the belt will receive significant forces

After that, you can always couple with a cylinder to stop the system, but it's a mess

in any case thank you for your ideas

I didn't know the Maltese cross system!!

Bastien

We never say when we talk about security, for the official document, you have to turn to the Apave or veritas etc...,

For the mechanical carousel integration it is the simplest, it is enough to limit the access to the rotating  part to more than 850mm (check if the standards have evolved). So a big box around the star, and access to it is out of energy. (you can still put a crank that the operator will operate at his will when he has access to the door open)

For the servo motor.... you need a good automatitian, but I can only advise you to go see Pilz automotion. Having encountered problems of understanding with SEW It may just be human.

The question for this project, is it unitary or for series????

The cost of development is higher in servo drive but less expensive during production.

#La cross of Malta I worked on reprography machines that had that... They were 50 years old.

Very good if you only adjust it once and you do mono format, then that's when it gets complicated.

Gerald

@dpusel

Be careful the belt drive makes you lose precision

On a Brushless bike, think of a registration sensor that will correct the zero point with each turn of the motor 

(a small ring with 6 notches, an inductive sensor on it, it's cheap and it helps a lot)

There is a slip coefficient regardless of the brand of engine.

In view of your answers, I think I will move towards the Malta cross system.

So I'm looking for a manufacturer: do you have one?

for safety issues, an organization (APAVE etc...) will come to validate the process

If it helps:

http://docinsa.insa-lyon.fr/polycop/download.php?id=159200&id2=1

Otherwise I may have an old project in a corner of my library, but maybe not every 20°.