Project entirely unusable

Hello

I wanted to switch to a completely piece-based design, until then I had been working in assembly, piece by piece (example 1pole=1part, one door=1part).

But I find myself with a part that is unusable because it is too heavy. I mean I can't take out the sheets unfolded via SMM because after a while solidworks crashes. And when it succeeds (after 24 hours) the drawing file only opens in preview and I can't edit it otherwise it crashes. After wasting 3 days looking for a solution I'm going to try to make several drawing files by myself but I think I'll still lose 2-3 days because when I do SW grinds as it's not allowed.

I have already tried to extract my sheets by saving it as DWG, but it took 3 days. (the files are no longer up to date because of the modification)

The file is 44 MB, it has 809 Functions, 319 Volumes and a total reconstruction time in seconds of 17.82

I have 91 sheet metal pieces and no bending errors

If anyone had an idea of the problem and could help me, I'm on solidworks 2021

verriere.sldprt

Sorry, I can't even open it, indeed drawing everything in the same room is not necessarily the right idea.

It is indeed necessary to favor the design in assembly.

If you manage to open it, maybe you will be able to explode it into different bodies and thus make your different MEPs of different bodies.

Make a backup of your part in another directory and try this method (attached file)

job9mtj6gm.gif
2 Likes

I've already tried but the sheets can't be unfolded after that.

Thank you for your help all the same

Hello

I confirm, it is sometimes preferable to create the whole thing in room mode. But we end up with a multi-body that is sometimes heavy.

I can't read your piece so I've made another simple example to show my solution. It allows for a lighter display and keeps the flattening for each piece of sheet metal.

Try to do the same using the configurations. You will have one line per independent body (the others are deleted) + one line to show everything. It avoids creating a multitude of files.

To quickly switch from one configuration to another without recalculating each time, move the function block line to the end.

tole_multicorps.sldprt
1 Like

Finally, do you propose to create the configuration before it is created when we make "unfolded state" during the drawing? I'm afraid of the bugs that it can make, especially at the point I'm at and my 91 pieces I don't prefer to risk it. In addition, the blocking bar gives me error messages as soon as I lower it, I don't know why either.

The flattening is automatically created on the drawing when you check the "unfolded state" box. 

To avoid working for nothing, make 2-3 lines of config and test. Test this solution and then the previous one and choose the one that suits you best.

1 Like

Hello

I opened your file in 3s, pretty well constructed.

Another little trick to avoid SW grinding for nothing: disable the auto-update of the parts list. Right-click on "Welded Parts List" and uncheck "Update automatically". On large sets it can help.

Good luck.

2021-11-17_11_26_46-.jpg