Allocated CPU power for SW

Hello

I'm working on a large file right now and I notice that my processor, through the multicore, is only running at a maximum of 15% of the total power available.

Is it possible to allocate more CPU power to solidworks?

If so, what should be done on the job.

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hello

SolidWorks uses the multi-core for simulation or rendering (photoview) only:

http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2010/11/do-multi-core-processors-help-with-solidworks/

So no possibility to change that, multi-cores are useless in other cases (two or four cores are enough: one for solidworks, another for other programs).

Edit: hyper-threading (simulation of a core as two) can be disabled, but doesn't change much in the performance of SolidWorks:

http://www.cadtek.com/solidworks-use-multiple-cores/

2 Likes

In the Windows Task Manager, look in process by right-clicking SLDWORKS.exe in affiited if it is allowed to run on all processors.

Then put the priority high.

But logically, by default, Solidworks will use the maximum possible CPU

I am sometimes at 98% ^^

3 Likes

Right, Lucas!

1 Like

Yes, .PL is right. It remains a mystery to me...

1 Like

Hello.

I take the liberty of reviving the subject a few years after the battle, sorry, but many forums deal with this subject and what I read there is inaccurate.

In reality, Solidworks only uses multi-threading for calculations outside of SW, namely Photoview360 (which by the way has not been programmed by Dassault) and calculation modules such as SW simulation. For everything else, SW NEVER uses multithreading.  It's hard to realize because regeneration tasks for example seem to be handled by all processors but when we look at the cumulative load of threads we realize that if we have a Xeon with 4 cores the CPU is right at 25%, that if you have an i7 (4 cores/8thread) the CPU is at 12.5%... As if by chance. (so if you assign it to a single core the performance is unchanged)

In particular, it will be noted that when we force the regeneration of an assembly, each part is regenerated sequentially, whereas it does not seem difficult to isolate the processes.

I have been using this software since version 98, almost all versions until 2018, and the last evolution of the 3D engine dates from the 2003 version with the appearance of volume bodies. Since then, Solidworks has stagnated and its design is now largely obsolete.

Good evening

I don't see what allows you to say that SW is obsolete.

What you indicate in a somewhat abrupt way is in my humble opinion the result of a fragmentary analysis.

First of all, at least two of your assertions that "never etc..." are erroneous

I think you should ask SW designers in the USA who will show you all the little bits of processes that are already multi-core, such as part loading.

We cannot judge the obsolescence of a software on a single criterion, which would be that of the non-use of multithreading. Look at how long your brain makes you inactive over a day because of intense gamberge, it's not the software that goes the slowest time.

Because AV is your intelligence more than the software.

Software that is obsolete disappears very quickly from the landscape (in 40 years I have seen hundreds of them disappear, including bestsellers). Gold: SW as in Inventor, Creo, etc... use features above all for designers in multiple trades and not only for manufacturers of Breton bilboquets influenced by gamma rays by Noroît winds. And if we look closely, there have been considerable changes in the functionalities in ten years.

It is likely that you do not use a 15-ton truck to buy a chocolate bar on the pretext that there could possibly be a promotion of 5 tons of chocolate for one euro more. So a powerful machine works better without necessarily using multi-core. On the other hand, take a rotten computer or a tablet and you will see how much it lags.

All software publishers and many other companies in all sectors integrate technologies created and developed by others who don't want to do so on the pretext that NIH pays for it one day or another (see Samsung recently with its phone).

In my work, I use large assemblies of several thousand parts that move in all directions (almost complex kinematics) and the loading time has not exceeded 10 seconds since V 2015.

Refresh times take only fractions of a second.

Everything is beautiful, you will reproach me!
Well, no!
There are many basic criticisms that could be made of the software whose very big flaw according to my daily experience is to mismanage the memory which leads to crashes or false errors, or even causes file corruption. When I see that it starts to mess around I close SW and reboot it. And everything goes back to normal.

The second criticism I would make is inhomogeneity between certain functions: a bit as if features added in an older version had been a little sloppy and never revisited.

I have more than twenty years of experience in the architecture of information systems in two very large companies and well I can tell you that wanting to rewrite a software of several million lines of code is a real hassle especially for debugging, So no one takes the risk. This happens when operating systems are shut down (IBM is used to this). In this case, we use mills that convert the old code but it would not occur to anyone to rewrite everything.

To finish a piece of information that you may not have, Nvidia is releasing the first GPUs dedicated to Ray-Tracing with its new Turing architecture, but above all which does raytracing in real time and SolidWorks is in the game. That said, the number of people who do real quality rendering with solidworks is not legion.
I was quicker to do the rendering under modo 901 than to use the ancestor of photoview.
Watch the new 2019 version of SW and understand why we are starting to have features that are gradually getting closer to Nurbs software. And what link can be made between these new modeling functionalities with topological optimization

The Americans say trend is not destiny.
Today, apart from CATIA, which plays in another category, there are six CAD software programs at about the same level and many others that play in the third division.

For a company that wants to switch from quichemolle software to tartequiche: this is a very heavy decision, especially for the conversion and use of old designs. Not to mention the time it takes to invest in training to use the new software correctly. I abandoned Inventor which had a prohibitive malfunction in relation to my activity and well I lost more than a month to master more or less SW.
When you have a dozen employees and thousands of parts, you don't think twice before changing.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Nice analysis!

I love the "makers of Breton bilboquets influenced by gamma rays by a northerly wind";

2 Likes

SW uses multi-threading with photo rendering modules, and other features.

with its simulation module (but these are external programs)

On the other hand, and I had already said this on another subject of the same type:

Yes, SW sometimes uses all resources (with or without through Windows).

and this, without having to fiddle with processor/process allocations.

SW contains a multitude of functions, it is obvious without being a programmer that some can be done in parallel, but above all that some must be done only chronologically.

And for tasks where SW seems to be single-threaded, as Zozo says (double-coaxial) maybe the writing of lines of code is difficult to convert to multi-threaded, or maybe it comes from memory transfers that limit, etc...

In any case, each person must only use part of his or her functions in his or her design office tasks.

for example, someone who works with Chassis will never need to touch the mold functions, etc...

For quite a few years, it's not recent, I've noticed that SW used 100% of the available resources in some cases, some functions (not all, but some do), and this without being an addons or external program-module.

To see it, but it depends on the functions you use, size of the ASM, or MEP, etc...

A simple thing to do in Windows, set Taskmgr to "hide the minimized icon", and set it at startup taskmgr.exe minimized.

Then to the Windows clock, go to icon settings, and choose Taskmgr, and set it to Show Permanent.

So then for the curious, or those who want to look and find which functions SW uses at full speed, just watch for the green icon...

Reminder : these are only a few functions, but some can be relatively common, but to highlight them, you need to have an eye, have large files...

Hello Olivier 42

Could you tell us which icons they are.

[[ A simple thing to do in Windows, set Taskmgr to "hide minimized icon", and set it at startup taskmgr.exe minimized. ]]

And above all, how and where it improves something.

Doesn't it scramble in other apps (I guess not if you offer it)

All good ideas are to be taken, thank you  for your future answer :-)

Cdlt

no, taskmgr doesn't do anything, it's "simple Windows"

It just allows you to see the load of the PC:

C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe

(for SW functions at 100%, from memory I already remember 2, there is one that everyone must encounter but does not perceive it, and another in a more particular and rare case. After there may be other functions, SW has so many...)