Screenshot quality

Hello everyone.

I want to take a screenshot of my assembly but the quality  is not great despite the settings in the settings / performance / image quality.

Do you know how to stop having this staircase effect?

Thanks in advance

sans_titre.jpg

Hello

Which SW version?

In your sight, are your features smoothed?

1 Like

I'm on SW2020 and as for the smoothing, I don't know sorry. Where can we see it?

Hello

How do you do it? "File" / "Save As" then select an image format?

1 Like

To have good quality captures, it is better to make a large format drawing, place the view with a scale (any) to fill the surface as well as possible and then make a PNG export by adjusting the options circled:

Dot per inch: Usually, in printing, we take 300
For the format, be consistent with the sheet format.

You will get a graphic file that is certainly too large for your needs, but the goal is precisely to reduce it, which will limit the effects of stairs normally.

export_png.jpg
3 Likes

@remrem I do a "save as" in TIF format but I have the impression that SW captures the screen resolution.

Otherwise with the "display>screenshot" function it takes a screenshot of the view in the clipboard (it makes a "copy" of the view). Then just open Photoshop (or the like), create a new "clipboard" document (automatically the size of the capture), paste the capture into it and save in the format you want.

For the smoothing, I wanted to say "is what you see in the image consistent with what you see in your view", but indeed I confirm @stefbeno's answer, in the export options the "screenshot" mode rescales the image strangely, not proportionally, so distorts the pixels, while in "print capture" mode, whatever the DPI, the image is compliant.

I just did a test and I understood the origin of the "weird rescale" in "screenshot" mode. The rasterization appears if the size of the image visible in the "information about the exported image" box is not a multiple of 2 (in other words, if the last width/height digit is odd). 1025 x 835 will give a pixelated image, while 1024 x 836 will give a compliant image.

SW in window mode allows you to stretch it to the nearest pixel to get the desired resolution.

1 Like

@stefbeno and @Sylk 

Many thanks for your help!!  

That solved the problem very well.

sans_titre.jpg
2 Likes