Which software to choose?

Hi all

I am currently working with sketchup pro and draftsight software.

I am in a company that makes modular buildings with a load-bearing structure in welded mechanics, wooden walls, roof and floor in wooden box as well, I carry out the plans from the preliminary project to the exe plans.I would like to find a software with which I can make presentations for customers as well as modifications of dimensions or position of elements, get quantitatives, cuts and where the update of the views is done automatically.

because currently I do everything manually, even my debit sheets, which makes me waste a lot of time.

I looked at Revit but I'm not sure if it's suitable.

Could you help me?

Thank you in advance

Hello

I am not familiar with Revit and the capabilities of building software. On the other hand, I know SolidWorks and Inventor well enough to tell you that even if they are not specifically designed for this, they do it very well.

Almost all CAD software has a welded design module.

Whether it's SW or Inventor, they both offer the possibility of making parametrics, reusing objects, making cut lists, making assemblies, making correct presentations for customers.

Personally, even if I love how easy SW is to use, I've had a preference for Inventor for some time now.

It's not much to play, it's mainly because Inventor natively takes DWG files without conversion to sketches, that for the welded construction it happens in an assembly and that the interface of the equations and the parametric/conditional part is really well done.

On the other hand, it takes a little longer to draw the same product on Inventor than on SW. It's not necessarily a flaw, it leaves more time to think about the stupidities we may have done (hihi...)

SW remains and will remain a really powerful tool that is easy to use.

5 Likes

Regardless of the modeling aspect, you should define your framework more precisely:
- number of people in the team;
- interface with other building trades (which could justify a BIM-oriented work environment).

As Yves.T said, SW, Inventor and SolidEdge will be able to generate your documents in "automatic". There will be a lot of work to set up at the beginning but if it is done well you will gain a lot in the end, it is a time/money budget to be planned. Maybe even consider an external speaker (so not an intern...) who could do a correct implementation at the start.

1 Like

It's clear that the mechanical-welding module of SolidWorks or inventor (or other CADs) brings a lot of advantages: configurable solutions, automatic management of the bill of materials, lightness.

See my tutorials to get started:

http://tutoriel.solidworks.free.fr/crbst_106.html

Another solution is to model in classic assembly and use the DriveWorks module to make this assembly configurable.

Hello and thank you for your answers.

To answer Steffeno, I will work more and more with BIM because we respond to public and tender contracts.the files are sent to me in DWG or PDF that I have to rework to adapt them to our construction method.

As for the people who work with me, there are none, I am alone.

Last point is the financial side.

SW, SolidEdge, as far as I know, is great from a financial point of view. Autodesk (the publisher of Inventor, Revit, etc.) has gone for another model based on license rental (which, for the moment, does not cost more over 3 years). It depends on how much you are forced to keep up with the evolution of the versions because of your customers.

For BIM, it seems that there are add-ins for SW.

Still, a parametric modeler seems to me a good investment given the work to be done. You may have to go through 2 softwares: 1 to "manage the BIM", 1 for the design/manufacturing part.

What is the AO?

Some ideas on BIM, mentioned on this forum: http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/import-export-formats-neutres/export-de-produit-en-ifc

@stefbeno

RFP = Call for Tenders

2 Likes