What is the ideal laptop configuration?

Hello

I just bought a new laptop from ASUS PROART 17" a "workstation"

Here is the configuration: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz

RAM 64GB

1T SSD

QUATRO RTX 3000

and frankly I find that my 1500€ gaming PC which was 6 years old ran better with Solidworks!

Are there any settings in the solidworks options to set up so that it works better?

Thank you for your help and feedback.....

Hello

For the config it's a recurring question with frequently the comparison with gaming PCs

This is what solidworks recommends and this is what to look at before buying a PC station or laptop.
https://www.solidworks.com/fr/support/system-requirements

Your configuration is almost correct except for the frequency for which the minimum is 3.3 GHz but you are at 2.6 Ghz.

After all, comparing a gaming PC with a CAD-oriented PC doesn't make sense for several reasons.
1°) Gamer PCs constantly display a lot of animated images and where it is necessary to have certain type of hyper fast reactions to the controllers hence the frantic race for frequencies in GHz and other overclocking and freeze cooling

For a CAD PC:
- the graphics card is hardly used so you just have to take just what is recommended.
- How to judge whether SW is rowing or not? You must specify which version of SW you have. Because the versions from 2019 and > are better optimized for large ASMs. For a basic part, even a little complicated, we don't see the graphical improvements at all.
- If you don't have a V 2019 or > there are settings to use to benefit from the graphical improvements (on large ASMs).

If you want to know more, you should share with us at what precise moment and on which parts (or ASW) you have an impression of lack of speed. Also, do you only do native SW and do you do realistic rendering and simulation ?
As you don't say anything about the settings you have for, for example, "system option ==> performance" loading of lightweight components, etc...
Do your assemblies have  fully resolved or lightweight active components.
How many rooms are loaded and in how many windows, and.... We can't really respond to your request.

That said:  when I want to chain functions quickly it doesn't go fast enough, that's why I use keyboard shortcuts and mouse shortcuts massively and I would like it to go faster. But if I look over several hours, I realize that I spend more time playing around and checking for collisions visually than creating or modifying parts. So the latency time is more between the seat-keyboard interface than in the PC.

This also means that it all depends on what you do in your company and with what degree of urgency.

That's it in a few words.

Kind regards

5 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your feedback!