What are the differences between solidworks and solid edge

Hi all. 

Here I would like to know what are the notable differences between solidworks and solid edge software. I have always worked on solidworks and do not know Solid Edge at all, I understand that the 2 software programs are quite similar however there are still some grey areas.

Can solidworks and solid edge communicate with each other (except iges or step) basically is there a possibility to recover my solidworks creation tree with solid edge?  I see a lot of things on the internet and honestly I really can't get an idea in the sense that I've never touched solid edge...  

I saw that Solid Edge included a sheet metal function. Personally I find the Solidworks one really at the top (being a boilermaker at the base I don't need the software to tell me what is feasible or not in the bending machine, I realize myself the errors if there are any at the time of the development of the part  ... )  

Is there a function like welded mechanic that can be found on solidworks with profiles etc  ? 

I found an interesting comparison on the net but it dates from 2003 I doubt that it is still relevant. 

Thank you for your clarifications.

Hello

Maybe it's best to make up your own mind because SolidEdge offers a free 45-day trial, see: http://www.digicad.fr/telecharger-solid-edge

Kind regards

3 Likes

Oh great, I'm downloading it, I'll see what changes indeed;) Thank you I will come back to give my impressions here.

Thank you.

1 Like

It's been a while since I've touched SE. Overall, it's the same spirit. For the mechanically welded sections and sheet metal, there were similar functions.

As for exchanges, it doesn't work in general whatever the software (so far, in what I've had the opportunity to test) and when it's possible, it requires to have the 2 software installed and valid (so the 2 licenses...) on the machine. Eventually SW has a function recognition function but the generated functions are not dimensioned.

2 Likes