Who has SW 2016?

Hello to you.

I created ds files under SW  2016 recently, but I had to reinstall my machine, and so I installed SW2015, for the moment.

The problem is that I can no longer open the files that have been modified with the 2016 version....

Could someone open my files, if I send them to them, to save them in a 2015 version? 

feasible?

Impossible to my knowledge to save in an earlier version keeping the build tree. Sorry.

But why did you install the 2015 and not restructure the 2016?!

I advise you to install the two side by side and juggle with both while waiting for a stable version.

6 Likes

And yes, Bart is right.

Except to view files of a higher version, you cannot have access to files made with "future" versions.

1 Like

No backward compatibility, on the other hand you can export it in parasolid since 2016, but you will lose the creation tree...

It's up to you...

1 Like

Hello

It all depends on what you need to do with these files right now...

• If you need to use them without modifying them, you can use the option to open 2016 files in SWOLIDWORKS 2015 SP5 (and only SP5). These files will be usable for assemblies and drawings but not editable. The advantage is that when you go back to 2016, they will have kept their design tree. This partial backward compatibility was introduced when SOLIDWORKS 2014 was released, but was temporarily interrupted when SOLIDWORKS 2015 was released due to a large file format change. This feature is back with the release of SOLIDWORKS 2016 and the SP5 of the 2015 (EDIT: I just checked on an Early Visibility version of the 2015 SP5: the feature is available).

• If you need to modify them, the only solution is to ask for a conversion to Parasolid (be careful to ask for a version of parasolid compatible with SOLIDWORKS 2015). The major disadvantage is that you will partially lose the design history and that you will not find it in 2016 since you will have modified them in the meantime.
1 Like

Can't restore a previous version of your file or the entire folder that was before it was opened on SW 2016? ( Right click and * restore previous version* )

1 Like

Good evening to you.

So much goodwill, thank you again.

I took stock of the files I've created since I had the 2016 version, and it's not huge.

So and seeing that it's complicated, tedious, etc... I redid these Today files at work.

A day lost is not death.

But thank you anyway for all these good tips.

I'll be back with design questions, I promise.

A+

F1B