Groove on cylinder

Hi all.

I'm racking my brains to find the solution... but I can't do it.

I would like to do a material removal following a 3D sketch, on the surface of a cylinder.

I can do it visually,  it's not good at all. The groove takes a ...

I had used the function of material removal following scan / follow trajectory er the first guide curve

Thank you in advance!

capture.png

I would even say answer that in this topic:

https://www.lynkoa.com/forum/solidworks/solidworks-jette-l%C3%A9ponge

Instead of doing a matter removal, you do a sweep by creating a body that is not merged with the 1st that you then subtract with the Combine function. Sometimes this method is faster.

3 Likes

Hello @sbadenis 

Your idea is good but it seems to me that the problem could rather  be at the level of the perfect perpendicularity of the groove with respect to the central axis of the cam.
It's almost the same problem as the laser cutting on tubes that @ac cobra explained to us a few months ago.

What do you think?

Kind regards:

I found it... I made a surface / extrusion then radiated surface... and finally removal of material with surface.

Thank you all

Good evening @Jeepford56,

A possible track with 3 sketches: a trajectory (pink spline) and a guide curve (blue spline) to constrain the orientation of the section (orange sketch).

And test the options of the Scan Material Removal function... In this case, set the profile twist to "Follow the path and the first guide curve".
Result:

File Attachment (SW 2018)

sldprt.channel
1 Like

Hello

This groove can also be made without sweeping.

part made under 2019 SP5.

sldprt.channel
1 Like

The method if different SLD version.

rainure.pdf