SW GUI responsiveness too slow

Hello,  I'm very annoyed with the responsiveness of SW's interface. Especially since I was changed my PC for an equivalent but with Windows 10 instead of 7. But it may have nothing to do with it because at that time we also changed the version of SW but not exactly at the same time, in short, I don't know where it can come from.

And the recent change of version of SW (17>20) has not improved anything :-/

The PB appears every time I select something : 2D/3D dimension, sketch segment in the 3D, in a plan or after  validation (input) of the input of a dimension. At this stage, SW does not carry out any calculations or reconstructions. It's just input.

In all these cases,  it takes at least 1 second before the interface gives me back the hand to be able to chain the rest...  Beyond the stress of having your rhythm broken every 3 or 5 seconds, it's a lot of time wasted per day to wait if you consider that I spend 4 or 5 hours modeling, on a production line, complex shapes, dimensioning them, dressing up the drawings. Ect.

The IT department told me that everything is ok in my station. We don't believe in the speed of the network because PB is identical in teleworking. When it should be worse.

If anyone has a lead, I'm interested  ;-)

Intel Xeon E5-2630v4 2.2Ghz / Nvidia Qaudro P5000 - driver version 26.21.14.3064 dated 05/05/2019 / Sata 512 Drives

3 Likes

Hello @fabrice.gallay 

This has nothing to do with the AMHA GUI (it is not used for this type of action)

Several points must be checked and eliminated.

In a sketch alone (any other closed pieces), if you make a succession of straight lines or circles, you have the same phenomenon.

1)° Frequency of automatic backup
2°) System options ==> performance ==> level of detail and another choice between slower and faster
3°) System options ==> View

Check if your configuration complies with those certified by SW usa

That's it to start with

4 Likes

Hello

In our design office, we noticed the same phenomenon, we also went from version 18 to version 20 of Solidworks with a new PC (Intel Xeon W-2125 @4.00GHz, 32 GB RAM + NVDIA Quadro RTX 4000) running Windows 10 while before we were in Windows 7.

Everyone in the design office complains about a slowness of solidworks that we didn't have before (with the same assemblies or drawing)!

I'm still listening to this thread hoping someone will find a solution, but I think the problem is with Solidworks 2020... I really regret having switched to this version  which brought us nothing more than the others except crashes, slowdowns and other bugs!

3 Likes

I also think that the problem comes from the 2020 (SP4 in our country)

on the same PCs in SW2019, it's less of a hassle with the drawing module (and the versions of Windows10 of the time)

4 Likes

Hello

I also find SW2020 slower to display than the previous versions, especially on the drawings.

@fabrice.gallay , The frequency of the processor seems low to me for SW while the graphics card seems to be a monster

2 Likes

Hello

I encounter the same problem on my pc, when I work on part or assembly or MEP, my selection remains frozen whatever my choice, and it' s always random, but fortunately I can  save and exit.

So to fix it, I close and reopen my file, even sometimes I stop sw and restart.

SW 2020 SP4.

I also follow this problem, which tires me.

@+.

3 Likes

Hello

The slowdown problem is already present with windows 10 and SW 2019.

This is related to the memory management by W10 which is different from w7 and which is poorly supported by Solidworks.

Our maintenance told us that they escalated the issue to Solidworks. Since then, we have been waiting for new information...

2 Likes

Hello @ all

This is not reassuring because not all those who are not in 2020 or 2021 will not be able to benefit from the patch.
Because on the Windows side they are not ready to change anything unless there are a lot of big applications that have the problem with powerful publishers.

It's quite curious of SW because they had announced a "look for the mistake" acceleration 

SOLIDWORKS 2020 : Performance Improvements

Enhancements to drawings, assemblies, and simulations help you significantly accelerate complex assembly design and validation analysis. Now you can open complex drawings in seconds and get a real-time view with a Wrap mode and graphical acceleration of drawings. Increase design speed with the new envelope publishing tool and decrease resolution times with hybrid mesh.

Rendering Pipeline

SOLIDWORKS 2019 uses a new graphical architecture to display parts and assemblies. This architecture allows for a more responsive real-time display, especially for reproducing large models. It takes advantage of modern OpenGL (4.5) and hardware acceleration technologies for rendering. This helps maintain a high level of detail and frame rate when translating, zooming, or rotating on large models. These performance improvements now allow for higher quality graphics cards, which was not possible with earlier versions of SOLIDWORKS. These changes do not apply to drawings.

as it is a beta version in V2019 I didn't dare to use it
To enable the new architecture in SOLIDWORKS 2019, select Tools > Options > System Options > Performance, and then select Improved Graphics Performance (Beta feature, requires SOLIDWORKS restart).

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

Thank you for all these suggestions!

So I put the performance settings to the maximum, to the detriment of the visual quality. but nothing has changed.

And the autosave is 20 min.  (it doesn't work anyway, I get a message when opening that tells me about a file PB for years, impossible to solve).

The configuration recommended by Dassault mentions a 3.3 GHz processor. Mine is that 2.2.  Well, ... It should be fine, 5-6 years ago I was drawing the same types of objects on a Dell precision I7 laptop at 2.4ghz on Creo and it was going very well.

I would rather lean towards the PB of the W10 memory management suggested by Pascal.

And I also read somewhere a possible PB with virtual memory or shared memory... I'll also see about it with a computer scientist.

Good luck to all in these difficult times.

1 Like

And if you reset your solidworks profile, do you still have the problem? (rewind possible)

To factory reset:

https://www.lynkoa.com/sites/default/files/questions/answer/07/09/2015/reinitialiser_les_parametres_de_solidworks.pdf

And then you see if you still have the slowness.

It happens more and more frequently with the new versions that the old SW profiles make the new versions of SW row without explanation.

That's why we had redone the SW2020 profile (SP5) from A to Z without getting anything, for the MEPs it still lags a little but for the rest it's much better in my opinion.

1 Like

The same goes for us.

Transition from 2018 to 2020 and it's catastrophic, the shots are too long to open, moreover some views are not even displayed anymore.

I applied the sbadenis technique for the SW profile.

Nothing helps.

I bitterly regret the transition to 2020 which was nevertheless "sold" as revolutionary in terms of drawing management and opening time.

3 Likes

Hi all

... Conclusion one year later...   all of them are solved by changing the PC (Thanks to telecommuting and the need to have a laptop).

Everything is fluid now and flows well, it's cool. It feels good to draw in relaxed mode.

I don't take any risk to say that in my case, the pb certainly came from the PC config mentioned in my 1st post.

Hello

The Xeon E5 was indeed probably part of the problem because it has a super low clock speed (we had a station with a Xeon E5-1620 and it was also a hassle).

Otherwise on MEPs under SW2020 a big problem comes from the hatching: use patterns with few lines and not exceed a factor of 2 penny of incredible slowness in the drawings at the slightest cut.