Creation of technical manuals

Hi all!

In your opinion, what would be the most suitable software and/or used for the production of technical manuals? Let me explain: I use, for the moment, word to create the layouts of my textbooks. What I like about Word is that you can link images and tables. Very handy when it's time to make updates. On the other hand, I wonder if another software like Indesign was better suited? What software do you use? In short, if you have other suggestions, don't hesitate.

Thank you

Hello

For technical documentation, Solidworks Composer is excellent.

In any case, I don't comment on the layouts but on the creation of exploded images, the principles of editing, zooms, etc... It's a very good tool.

Not sure that we can't do without Word for all that...

2 Likes

Indesign is a bit of a high-end in this field.

Publisher is simple but effective for small projects

Good evening

Just to know, why are you asking yourself this question, if it's already going well with your software, you're wondering if you could go faster or if there are software that have more developed utilities?

Good evening

I use a mix between word adobe pro and solidworks exploded drawings converted to pdf.

Practical (not expensive because old version) remains the problem of updates that we do manually every year.

Hello

Personally I use Word too. In my various documents I use a lot of screenshots from SW. To insert complete documents, I go through the insertion of PDFs in the documents.

So far this solution has fully fulfilled what I wanted.

InDesign + SolidWorks Composer. (1 person dedicated to writing the notices in my company)

Compositing: a big time saver for formatting 3D models, even by someone who doesn't use SolidWorks. The gain is all the more true when you have "standard" manuals that need to be updated from time to time (mechanical evolutions in particular). If you only do "one shot" machine manuals, the interest will be limited.

InDesign: much more possibilities than Word (according to the colleague who only makes notices).

2 Likes

Some answers on the subject

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/3d-qui-connaitqui-utilise

@+ ;-)

Hello

We use Word mainly, and we include the assembly plans (assembly plans) which are then transformed into PDFs.

Because of our fairly basic use, we think that using Composer for us is not necessary.

For those who use SolidWorks Composer, how many people work at the design office?

Each time a person is dedicated to it full-time?

@Lucas

There are 2 of us at the BE so small structure...

In fact, I'm more and more interested in Composer because it's not just dedicated to cartoonists.

Once the work at the design office is completed, a third party can very easily handle the assemblies with little or no CAD knowledge.

The person in charge of ads, manuals, posters, etc. (who often works on toshop-type logs) will find his account in a natural way.

But I'm also interested in user feedback.

1 Like

Hello

we have 1 license to compose to make the explodes for our technical instructions, the rest and the integration is done with World and then pdf

We tried to do everything with Compose, but the time to get started and set up a procedure is not that simple, we realized that it would take a full-time person to do it and this is not on the agenda in our small structure

In any case, training is more than necessary

Have a nice day

1 Like

I already use solidworks composer for my exploded details, and renderings. It allows me to completely dissociate myself from engineering. We had and still have assemblies full of configurations that are only used for manual drawings. Solidworks composer allows me to leave the management of solidworks files to production.

Now, the composition of manuals is not really done in solidworks composer or in solidworks.

Not that it's impossible, but not very practical.

If I am to believe your answers, Word is the most commonly used software. On the other hand, after exploring InDesign a little, it's hard not to succumb to it. To answer the question above, if I want to change software, it's simply to highlight our manuals more without making them less practical.

Thank you!!!