Threading a cylinder in Solidworks

Hello

I would like to make two taps on a diameter that will be bored inside, but I can't do them correctly.

Do you have a solution?

Thank you 

Hello

In fact, you have to go to "insert > annotation > thread representation" to display as a tap in the drawing.

1 Like

Hello

This is a recurring question and the question arises as to whether geometry is absolutely useful or whether a thread/thread representation is sufficient. :

- Thread representation, use the function in annotation.

- Geometry, use the material removal scan function (profile+trajectory)

Kind regards

6 Likes
I hadn't read it well, I thought it was on a tree.
If I understood correctly (maybe a little clarification would be welcome), you want for example an M10 and an M6 in the same position?
Although the first solution can work (by first creating the 2 simple holes with the wizard for drilling or material removal), to create a thread, you have to use the drilling wizard.
But to start a tapping, you need a flat face. So if there are 2 different diameters, they must be made one after the other:

First the M6 for example, with the total length e.g. 100, then the M10 in the same place depth 50.

Does that answer the question?

Thank you for your answers, because with the drilling wizard, I wanted to create my two M5 threads directly on my diameter and that's the problem because it's not a flat face.

A small clarification, it is quite possible to create a tap with the drilling wizard on a non-flat face (your axis for example). To do this:

- either before launching the function you select the cylindrical face

- or you do the drilling wizard function and then when you go to the "Position" tab, to create your point, you select "3D Sketch".

Kind regards

tareaudage3d.png
6 Likes

With the drilling wizard, I did my two holes then a thread representation and it's good it works.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Hello

Why should we have a flat face?

There is the 3D Sketch mode in the drilling assistance (since SW 2011 or 2012), which allows you to drill a cylindrical or other face.

Which version of SolidWorks are you in?

@+

1 Like

Re

An image to illustrate my point

@+

percage_cylindre.jpg

@Coyote: look at the answers already published!

3 Likes

Solidworks 2013 Premium

@jmsavoyat, sorry but since there is no automatic refresh in lynkoa, when you have opened a question you don't see live the answers of others while you write yours...

Request for improvement for lynkoa.

@+

Please designate the best answer!

1 Like

Hello 

A little extra suggestion

Create a plane tangent to the cylinder and then drill wizard

Personally I'll try the previous answer to see if it's more practical 

Here's actually the part I want to create in Solidworks (as an attachment).

It's a very simple part but it's just the threads that have to be aligned with the flat that block me.

support_special.pdf

Hello

I don't understand what's blocking you?

All you have to do is create the holes on the cylindrical face in 3D sketch with 2 points, constrain these 2 points on the plane and dimension them.

I'm attaching the play!

@+

Part1.SLDPRT
1 Like

Thank you

I'm new to Solidworks and I think I took a bit of a headache for the realization of its taps.