"Half tapping" realization

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone can explain to me how to make the "half tapping" for example on the hubs of removable pulleys (see below).

Thank you very much! Have a good day to you,

Yours sincerely.

1 Like

Hello

On SW, with a simple piercing assistance function:

See attached file

Part1.SLDPRT
2 Likes

Hello, in fact I am talking + machining question, if there are special techniques. But thank you anyway!

And by the way, what is this type of tapping called?

Thank you!

1 Like

It can be made on an NC center and quality taps (as you can imagine, the machining force is not distributed, the tap suffers).

Or you can also provide the complementary shape to make a 360° thread but in 2 rooms. In the case of the hub pictured, if the goal is to tap the pulley, a marthyr hub is prepared.

It depends on the number of parts to be made, your means of production,...

Edit: it's usually called a drilling-tapping between leather and flesh. At least by my home:)

5 Likes

Hello

There are several solutions for making a half thread.

The 1st is to make a normal thread with a tap and then machine the area you are removing with a milling cutter.

The 2nd, on machining center (milling) is to use a thread milling cutter that is smaller than the drilling. This is valid for large taps.

http://img.directindustry.fr/images_di/photo-g/fraise-fileter-tige-longue-16174-2338063.jpg

The 3rd, on TCU (turning) is to use a threading tool, it is practically identical to solution 2.

http://img.directindustry.fr/images_di/photo-g/outil-filetage-machine-outil-35541-2284255.jpg

S.B

10 Likes

@Benoit.LF,

It doesn't work to tap a half cylinder, up to the M6, you break your tap every time for sure.

1 Like

Same as s.b:

1 normal tapping then remove the material by machining

I remembered that one of my subcontractors proceeded like this, but it was indeed perhaps only from a certain size. Time for me.

There remains the proposal of the marthyr play or the ad-hoc tools that you propose. It is as needed. :)

+1 for s.b