Construction of a rack and pinion with a curved rack

Hello, I have to make a rack and pinion with a curved rack,
 I downloaded a rack and a pinion already made(https://grabcad.com/library/rack-pinion-assembly-1) then I modified the rack with the bending function for the curved only when I reopen my assembly file, it gives me a lot of errors. I tried to put each constraint back but impossible to put my rack and pinion constraint ( rack : edge of the rack ; pinion : face of the end of a tooth of the pinion)

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance

Hello

Rather than bending a rack, you should directly download a ring gear that you can "cut" if you don't want a 360° element.

From there, you can place more coherent constraints.

Edit, hold an example https://grabcad.com/library/compact-random-oscillation-device-1

4 Likes

I tried except that what you gave me is circular and my goal was to put my rack behind a door so that the movement of the door would drive my gable.

A screenshot will help for a good understanding of the subject

With the bending tool we change the profile of the parts so it is possible that the chip and the angle of the teeth are changed

1 Like

Oh yes, the screen printing is essential!

Want to carve a curved rack??? If it's just kinematics, skip your teeth for now. If it is for the shape of the teeth, simple bending should not be suitable for the shape of the teeth (except for wide play between the teeth!).

Tell us more.

1 Like

Here is what I would like to do (that when opening my door the rack turns the pinion) only for practical reasons I would need to bend my rack but when I bend it the rack stress no longer works.

Ps: the connection between the rack and the door is missing which I am not yet made

cremaillere_courbe.docx

What is your version of SW?

1 Like

If you are in SW15, here is an assembly to understand how to proceed. It is to be adapted to your needs of course.

The pinion and the ring gear are managed in the same way: to set them up, go to the equations to modify the modulus and the number of teeth. The calculations do themselves. It's up to you to touch up the general size of the piece.

To manipulate to understand how it works, it will be more meaningful than describing everything to you.

Good luck and Noyeux Joël! :)

assembly1-example.sldasm
1 Like

I can't open your file.

It probably comes from the fact that I have the 2014 version of SolidWorks.

1 Like

That's right. Tampis! :)

To view the assembly you can watch it via eDrawing 2015 (it's free!). And you will understand part of the proposal.