CAD research to make user manuals

Hi all

We have just entrusted the b.e. (so me) with the heavy workload on the Instructions for Use that are delivered with our products.

We (SOFRACA) are a small manufacturer (under 15 people) of a multitude of products from different ranges concerning small restaurants, snack bars, and fairgrounds.

The situation I am recovering is several dozen individual user manuals (Word format) to be corrected and reformatted, according to the evolution of the regulatory  texts imposed by the standards of our profession.

The user manuals are made up of redundant paragraphs, sometimes with a few variations in syntax, with character formats to be respected, etc., and opening each document regularly and individually to sometimes make the same modification is a tedious task.

Do you know of a CAD "Instructions for use"?

By this I mean, a software, an application allowing you to design documents combining text and graphics, to manage a database of paragraphs and texts, with, if possible, an interactive model in layout (remains active on the generated files).

Also, I don't have the same number of standard paragraphs, it may be that I have a greater diversity of "Installation" paragraphs because it is more specific, than "precautionary use" paragraphs more common to several devices.

How does the documentation department of your companies work?

Thank you very much for the help you could give me in my search.

I will say Solidworks Composer:

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/products/technical-communication/solidworks-composer.htm

But for that you need to have the 3D of the sets you describe

3 Likes

+1 @tomalam

Soldiworks compose and the best in terms of user instructions and assembly instructions.

1 Like

Hello

3D via composer is very complete and interactive to make assembly instructions, user manuals....

http://www.3ds.com/fr/produits-et-services/3dvia/3dvia-composer/portefeuille/derniere-release/

http://www.resomatique.net/solution-cao/3dvia-composer-exemples.php

1 Like

does it smell like a triple:p

Is it that we shouldn't say too much !! :)

SolidWorks composer is very well made and very useful, especially if there are changes in the 3D regularly (to justify its cost).

We use Word with templates for each type of machine, which allows us to have all the standards already included, which limits the work.

Then we can imagine using mail merge to directly fill Word files from data from the design (SolidWorks, PDM for example) or thanks to the ERP that we will have automatically exported to Excel!

It's a bit tedious to set up and you shouldn't be afraid to get your hands dirty, but what a joy afterwards!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your contributions.

I had rather distanced 3D via composer, because it was essentially presented to me as a tool to manage graphics, indeed for assembly instructions.

However, the standards require that the instructions for use contain textual regulatory information, so the graphic part is really in the minority compared to the text.

By consulting this last user manual which has just been validated by the LCIE, do you confirm that 3d via or Solidworks composer are indeed appropriate applications for this work?

Thank you.

sofraca_cuiseur_induction.doc
1 Like

There is no 3D view in your doc but all the dimensions can be controlled by the design directly and evolve with the 3D! once the base is done, then it rolls!

1 Like

To be clear:

If you use SolidWorks (and other 3D software? But in this case, the interest is less I think) and you want to put 3D views, which will be later modified, we can consider using SolidWorks Composer because updating the record views is very simple.

For me, this is one of the only advantages: otherwise, the return on investment will be really low!

Why is Word not suitable? What are the disadvantages and disadvantages for you?

1 Like

I don't think such software exists.

CAD and the instructions for use are ultimately not linked.

Edit: I just saw that there was an attachment!

For this type of manual, I don't see any advantage in SolidWorks Composer over Word.

As I noted above:

"Why is Word not suitable? What are the disadvantages and disadvantages for you?"

I think that the Word mail merge can really make the work easier, using an Excel file automatically generated from the design software or the management software (ERP).

Direct Mail Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCf1G-Ewn0

1 Like

for this type of record

(such as your attachment)

The Office Pack does the trick

@+ ;-))

1 Like

Hello

You can use Powerpoint and manage your slides according to the versions of your user manuals.

S.B

Always thank you for your contribution.

Currently the documents are already in Word, and are individual files, they don't have graphics currently because we can say that it's version 1.0, and that in the future, I would be forced to integrate some.

By improving the system, I can improve the situation with paragraphs pasted with linking.

However, since the template is not interactive, the change in the pagination of the template does not occur in the respective documents.

If I understand correctly, what you said seems possible to develop an application with office tools.

Before thinking about this expensive solution in development, I would like to find an existing application.

I watched the video of the direct mail, the idea would be to see how well it would work with entire paragraphs.

The reflection continues,...

Finally!!!!

For those who are interested,...

OZALTO