Searching for SW Temporary Files

Hello
A subject that regularly affects me.

When you open a template with SW, it creates temporary files with names starting with "~$".
In case of a crash, these files are usually not eliminated and if you run a search in the file explorer with "~$*" for example, even if you activate the visibility of the hidden/system files, they do not come out.

There is SolidworksRx but it only deals with one directory at a time at best and moreover without any notion of recursion.

How do you do it?

Hello

Instead, try searching for *$* or *$*.sldprt to target more.

Hello;

Rather than using the Windows Explorer search function (which is deplorable, very slow, and ultra greedy in terms of system resources), I use the "Everything" software.
Available here: https://www.voidtools.com/
It's ultra-fast and convenient for researching. ("Everything" generates its own database).
Note: the site is in English but the software is configurable in French (among others))
Kind regards.

1 Like

@Maclane: You can also set up your Windows to index the content you want to index. It must be pretty much the same as your software

@stefbeno: just go to the SW settings to find out where it stores your temporary files (in the backup/recovery tab: automatic save folder line). By default it should be something like C:\Users\Your username\AppData\Local\TempFileBackupSW\

My ~$ are in the same folder as the project file. I can't say if I changed that choice or if it's the default.

@froussel: That's true, but when I chose an ultra-slow Windows search and an almost immediate (and fully customizable) one, my choice was quickly made. (Especially when working on servers).

@froussel: My files are in the same folder as the original file, regardless of the autosave folder, it shouldn't be the same.

@Sylk: I'm afraid that *$* is not discriminating enough, especially with * at the beginning, at the limit ?$*.sld*, to be tested.
You also have to do a test on the command line: dir ~$*.sld* .

@Maclane: a priori my working directories are indexed by Windows. On the other hand, if I can avoid an additional software, it's fine with me, we try to limit the load on the machines.

The tilde (~) in your search will yield nothing. *$*.sld* will work perfectly ;)

After trying, it works perfectly, thank you @Sylk 
You just need to check that the display of protected Windows files is enabled.

1 Like