Rebuild new configuration

uh, stupid question:

When you created your family of parts, you wouldn't have unchecked a box at the bottom, as the template update allows?

3 Likes

industrialcadservices +1000 if that's it; )...

Roub25 I didn't send you a macro...? You are confusing with ac cobra 427 I think.

Otherwise, there is a recent post that I created with the help of industrialcadservices "link part family and custom properties" that may help you, the idea is to use the search formula V  according to the reference of a configuration filled in a property, which means that there is only one configuration that will look for these values in a database included in the part family... Ect... Watch the video at the end to understand the principle.

1 Like

Hello

Indeed I got the wrong nickname sorry^^.
After multiple tests I think I have found the cause of my error but not the solution.

So I have a part that can take several standard configurations (such as a tube with different diameters, with or without threads, with or without other bores...). In addition, in order not to limit creativity, I created parameters so that the part could be modified with values other than those of the configurations. 

But I noticed that when I put numerical values in the table of the coin family, the dimensions took the right values, but the parameter-dimension links (the equations) were broken, so the dimensions were no longer modifiable by the parameters. So I decided to put the name of the parameters in my family's boxes by giving the right values to the parameters according to the configuration thanks to the equation manager. It worked.

And that's where my problem appears: In the family of parts SolidWorks automatically puts back the mumeric values (I noticed this because once the parameter names are written in the cells, I close and re-open the spreadsheet and the count of the cells to be changed) which doesn't seem very annoying, you might say. But in fact it is because the numeric values are injected into the parameters but the dimensions are not updated with the desired values. And that's why I need to open up the equation manager so that the odds update with the parameters.

So I'd have to find a way for it not to change the inside of the cells and I think it's in the order of declaration: did I set the parameter value first or the parameter itself.

I hope I was understandable.

1 Like

I may have found the solution: instead of controlling dimensions in the family of parts, I might as well directly control the value of the parameters.
And since the dimensions are linked to the parameters thanks to the equations, normally they will update.

I'll do the test and I'll get back to you.

1 Like

Hello

In fact, what you're looking to do is simply put your global variables into a family of parts.

To do this, use: $VALEUR@global_variable_name@EQUATIONS

On the other hand, personally, I don't use equations when I use the families of parts, at least not in Sw.

I put all my equations in Excel, even if it means hiding the colones.

The reason is very simple: 

Although the management of equations is made easier with the manager, it is also a gas mill. I prefer to have Excel do the calculations, which is really designed for that.

When you make a family of pieces, this one takes over.

When we rebuild, sw will look in the family of parts for the values one by one, which takes time. If we also use the equation manager, it will look for values in the family of parts once again and the worst thing is that it does it every time it needs a value. Suffice to say that he pedals for a long time for nothing.

So for me, family of parts + equation manager = forbidden

Family of rooms with equations inside = Happiness.

4 Likes

industrialcadservices Yes that's exactly what I'm trying to do and yes I used this syntax. I solved my problem but others appear (it's always like that you will tell me). 
I don't quite understand when you say put your equations in excel. These are not formulas, how is it possible to put equations relating global variables to SW sketch dimensions in excel?
And so for you it's either we use the part family or we use the global variables?

I don't quite understand when you say put your equations in excel. These are not formulas, how is it possible to put equations relating global variables to SW sketch dimensions in excel?

In your room family, add your global variables. Add your ribs.

Let's say you have your variable "Length" in cell B2 and your Longueur@Esquisse1 side in cell B3, in B3, type "=B2". Longueur@blabla will be = Length.

And so for you it's either we use the part family or we use the global variables?

It is mainly because they are no longer of much interest. In your family of rooms, nothing prevents you from modifying the sheet to add information or rename columns, add a plan, a form, etc.

Nothing prevents you from linking your calculated columns to the Longueur@blabla rating.

Okay but can we put "= strings" in an excel cell? And SW will understand?
And if by  "Length" in cell B2 you mean to put a numerical value, then there are no more parameters.

Precisely, the objective of my settings is that the user no longer needs to return to the table.

1 Like

Good evening

I checked one of my words and was wrong in saying:

"When you make a family of pieces, this one takes over."

This is both true and false:

If we put a parmeter in the part family with a value and it is in the equations, it is the equation manager who takes over by leaving the manager's value.

If we put a parameter in the family of parts with a value and it is not in the equations, it is the family of parts that wins (logical behavior...)

On the other hand, you can make a mix of the two, CAD, manage some parameters by the manager and others by Excel.

Yes, you can put strings in the cells of a family of parts, such as: ="D1"/3

In order for Excel to understand that it is a string and not a formula, you have to add an apostrophe before the string: '"=D1"/2

So, in your case, I don't really have a solution. On the other hand, the user can always add a configuration without going through the part family and in the room family options, uncheck the "New configurations" option, it will save you from having 50000 "pouries" configurations.

As attachments, a screen with String values in a family of parts

sw_famille_de_pieces.png
2 Likes

Thank you industrialcadservices for your explanations and research! Precisely after multiple tries I noticed that this was the problem: the odds values/parameters are changed all the time depending on whether it has been defined in the family or in the manager...

Following your attachment, I wonder: Is it possible to "declare" a variable in Excel, by which I mean for example "L" length of the part, without writing it in the manager in the "Global variables" section BUT then use it in the equation section please?

1 Like

Hello

No, this is not possible, the part families require existing parameters.

SW puts the error message "The column header "blabla@blabla" contains an invalid equation specifier. Leaves the parts family without updating the model"

Then, there is the configuration publisher that you can use to create your configurations. This would allow you not to restrict the user but allows you to set default values and the form can be filled in with values from an excel table.

1 Like

All right... I didn't think SW could be so restrictive.
It bothers me a bit to start over with another tool (even if it's integrated into SW). I'll try to find a solution.

Now I don't know what to say...

That's what I don't understand, or at least that's where it explains your comments about the fact that one is taking over. How is it possible that when I choose my configuration thanks to the drop-down list I have all the right values, so the ones that come from the family. Therefore,  that the global variable has the right value while simultaneously in the manager the variable has another value. 

And so when I open the manager and then I say "Ok" the values change but are not the right ones... But what's even weirder is that I have this problem for only 1 or 2 global variables, the others everything goes well and that for the second variable where it happens to me it's not for all configurations.

1 Like

I can't get either the manager or the table to drive or at least I don't understand how it works.

Finally, I'm going to delete my global variables for now, so deal only with the part family.

And I think I'm going to try to integrate global variables thanks to the VBa.

industrialcadservices could you give me your opinion on this idea please?

1 Like

As requested by industrialcadservices , here is a screenshot of the options of my function

Hello Gentlemen,

I apologize for the response time but I searched all day yesterday to find compromises and solutions that did not stray too far from my specifications. So I ended up dividing my part family into three and then I decided to go only through the part family. 

Finally, I end up with variables defined in the manager, some of whose values are driven in the family and the equations also in the manager. This gives me the most acceptable solution for my project, i.e., I manage the "most variable dimensions" from the family and the rest of the variables through the manager. And this leaves the possibility for the user to still control the variables thanks to the manager if he wants to redo a total design.

Soon I will create an application to make the link easier/faster with the variables.

Thank you all for your help because with our group reflections I was able to move forward!

So I'm closing this post by putting "I solved my problem myself" so that readers have a summary but it's thanks ^ce to you!

PS: a.leblanc the solution of the P.P. does not really correspond to what is asked of me and also I don't know how to use them but you are right during my project I will find out for the rest.

1 Like