Retrieving a Grain Direction on a Wood Texture in Solidworks

Hello everyone,

It is possible to recover a grain direction in a painting from a wood texture.

That is to say, to specify a little more, that if the grain of the wood of the texture  is in the length of the piece, we retrieve the information in the table with the comment "Long Grain" for example.

But it may be completely impossible.

Thanks in advance

Hello

What you are asking for is not possible since the structure of a component is not information used in the CAD module. Only in simulation the internal component is used.

The volumes in SW do not at any time have the notion of fiber, they are wireframes whose outer surfaces are colored. And again, this is just an individual part, if you put a wooden structure on an ASM set, you will have anything.

The problem with textures is even worse because they are just images that are plastered on an entire volume (an individual piece).
In addition, they don't even paste in reference  to the foreground and you can't change this reference either.

So you can't retrieve any information from the images. On the other hand, if you define inherent properties of the part, then you can reuse it. But from a visual point of view, you won't have any help.

I'll let my colleagues explain how to create properties and how to get them back.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Hello and Thank you Zozo_mp for your information, I suspected an answer in this sense, but which doesn't try anything...

On the other hand, yes, information on the creation of property and how to recover it can be useful to me.

So I'll try to do some research in this direction, but if someone wants to give me a hand, it will be welcome.

1 Like

Hello

To get the direction of the thread, I have the impression that the property form is a good lead:

If the length dimension is entered on each piece and it corresponds to the direction of the wire, the flow sheet gives the information.

Another idea is to use the visualization cube and add a checkbox in the property form, but it looks less smooth.

1 Like

Hello timothee.rebillard.slb,

How can a checkbox be included?

I would be more on this option, because I don't work with the direction of the thread in relation to the length, I assign a variable "long thread" or "short thread" in my flow sheets

Hello

Typically, you would create a custom property form and link a debit sheet entry to that property. You will then have to check this box for each piece created that has a short wire.

I don't know much about custom properties and since I opt for the other option, I can't help you much more with this one.

I'm interested in your feedback, though.

1 Like

Hello, and thank you for your advice timothee.rebillard.slb,

I did a little digging and I got to this, I put some screenshots and some explanations, but don't hesitate if you want more info.

I chose the radio buttons because it allowed me to choose three options, rather than the checkboxes.

Once you load in the custom properties, you select the wire direction for each part.

We create the nomenclature by adding the custom property of the thread direction that comes from the form.

The length, width and thickness of my nomenclature comes from the visualization cube of each part.

That's a bit succinct, but I can provide some additional explanations.

2 Likes