Constraint References

Hello

I am facing a problem that seems to me to be a bug in Solidworks (I am in version 2012).

I have two pieces with constraint references.

If I insert part 1 into an assembly and then part 2, there is no problem and the constraints add up correctly.

On the other hand, if I insert part 2 and then part 1, Solidworks does not find the constraints.

Do you have any idea where the problem is coming from and if there is a solution?

Thank you

Hello

Can you give us screenshots of the 2 situations and are you in SP5??? It is the most successful version of the annual version...

Hello

Images of constraint references are attached. On the second image, if I replace "Constraint 1" with a face, the problem is still there.

Also, I have a 3 piece that looks a lot like 1 and the stress references are the same. Using parts 2 and 3, there is no problem, the stress references work independently of the order in which the parts are inserted.

On the other hand, I'm in SP1. How do you upgrade to SP5 knowing that it's a network license that multiple people can use? Is there a charge for the update?

capture.png

You absolutely have to upgrade to SP5! Yes, it is free.

This one is no longer available on the official website, but you can check here:

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/SolidWorks_Service_Packs.htm

SP1 is a bit like a beta version, you should never work long with versions before SP2 or SP3 (we are still waiting for SP3 to install a new version).

The update is not paid and you will have to update all your positions. Normally at the bottom right of the screen you have a SW icon and there you click on it and look for update. Or else in the options.

When I check for updates, Solidworks tells me that no downloads are available. I think I'm not going to be able to switch to SP5.

I keep looking for constraint references.

I think I have an SP5 from 2012 lying around on a hard drive, on the other hand, it's 5 to 6 GB.

Do you have an FTP?

And you're in 32 bits?

I ask the person in charge of IT for the FTP.

On the other hand, I'm in x64 version.

Hello

I have made inquiries and we do have an FTP.
On the other hand, Solidworks is in 64bits. Do you have an SP5 for this version?

Thank you

No, I think I only have it in 32 bits.

We will see with the license reseller if they can provide us with SP5.

I also think that this is the best solution; hoping he still has it...

Hello

I installed the SP5 on my workstation but the problem was not solved. Constraint references always only work in one direction.

Do you have any other leads since the Solidworks update has not changed anything?

Hello

Can you post an assembly with the parts?

1 Like

Your stress refs on part 2 do not depend by chance on part 1

If that's the case, it's normal that it doesn't work since he looks for his refs and can't find them

@OBi WAN, attached is a zip with the parts.

If I insert Assembly1 and then Part1, then the references work fine.

On the other hand, in the other direction (Part1 then Assembly1) it doesn't work anymore.

@gt22, there is no dependence between constraint references.

I was able to try on a 2015 version and in both directions the references are found but but in the case that I insert Assembly1 on Part1 the references don't fit as they should.

references_de_contrainte.zip

For your information, I can reproduce the problem on 2014, I'm looking to see if I find a solution

Checks part and assembly stress dependencies

To see 

Constraint References

Constraint references specify one or more entities of a component to be used for the automatic constraint. When you drag a component with a constraint reference to an assembly, the SolidWorks software attempts to find other combinations that contain the same reference name and constraint type. If the name is the same, but the type is not the same, the software does not add the constraint. Here are a few more things you need to know about constraint references:

• Components. You can add constraint references to parts and assemblies. In assemblies, you can select assembly geometry (such as a plane in the assembly) or component geometry (such as the face of a component).

• Stress reference propagation. When you insert a subassembly into a higher-level assembly, the constraint references defined in the subassembly's components, as well as those defined in the top-level of the subassembly, are available for automatic constraints.

• Multiple constraint references. A component can contain multiple constraint references. The Constraint References folder in the FeatureManager authoring tree contains all references.

A component in an assembly may, for example, have two stress references: bolt and washer. When you drag a fastener with a constraint reference called a bolt into the assembly, constraints are added between entities with the same constraint reference name.

• Several entities constrained. Each constraint reference can contain up to three constraint entities (primary, secondary, and tertiary), each with its own constraint type and alignment. In order for two components to be automatically constrained, their constraint references must have the same one:

• Name

• Number of entities

• Constraint type for matching entities

• SmartMates. When the SmartMates PropertyManager is open, the software adds constraints via constraint references before adding geometric SmartMates.

To set a constraint reference:

1. In a part or assembly, click Constraint  Reference (Reference Geometry toolbar) or click Insert, Reference Geometry, click Constraint Reference.

The PropertyManager Constraint Reference appears.

2. Under Reference Name, type a name for the constraint reference.

3. Under Primary Reference Feature:

• Select a face, edge, vertex, or plane as the Primary Reference Feature. The entity is used for potential constraints when you drag a component into an assembly.

• Select a Constraint  Reference Type and a Reference  Constraint Alignment to set the default constraint for the reference entity.

4. You can repeat step 3 to add secondary and tertiary features.

5. Click . 

The constraint reference is added to the FeatureManager authoring tree, in the Constraint References folder .

1. The constraint reference is added to the FeatureManager authoring tree, in the Constraint References folder .

To capture a constraint reference from an existing constraint:

1. Edit a component in the context of an assembly.

2.  Click Constraint Reference .

3. In the PropertyManager, under References to Capture, select an entity or constraint.

The entity, constraint, and constraint alignment appear under Primary Reference Entity.

1. Type a name under Reference Name and click  to add the constraint reference to the component.

In your assembly 1, instead of choosing the screws as a stress ref, choose  the drill and put a coaxiality ref and it works, it should not appreciate the stress ref on a repeat.

EDIT: preview attached next file to follow

contrainte_assemblage_1.jpg