Connect 2 sketches with a curve as a path

Hello

I make a handrail for a 50x10 flat staircase, for the bending part I can't make sure that the twist of the surface remains the same along the trajectory to get to my first post properly. I created the sketch on the last post where I would like my handrail to end but how do I connect everything?

via a smoothing it should do it

@+

2 Likes

Hello

A solution would be to make a smoothing by defining as a trajectory a segment located on the axis of the staircase with the height of the latter as its length and then as a profile the section of the handrail, this profile being drawn in a sketch passing through the axis. The default settings don't give anything, but if you go to the options and look for the ones concerning the torsion, apply the step of your stairs, for example the number of turns to get to the top. You should get something not too far at all from what you're looking for. I would have made a tutorial with some images but on leave I don't have Solidworks at hand. If you wait a few days, and if of course you are interested, I can complete my answer in this sense.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello@Benjamin

The problem comes mainly from the fact that it is necessary to have a sketch at the beginning and especially another at the end, which is not the case in your images. (this should normally be enough)

This is one of the reasons why the connection at the bottom hurts, because it has no information on how to connect.

It may also be necessary to consider a second guide curve if the first one is not made from a 3D spline. The best thing to do is  to make the guide curve(s) from a coil made with the appropriate function.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Thank you for your advice, I managed to make it!

My boss asks me if it's possible to unfold it or lay it flat, so we cut it with a laser in 10mm sheet metal rather than bending flat... I told him it was going to be complicated but if you have an idea to help me...

1 Like

Yes via the Surface Flattening tool

@+

1 Like

I was wrong in my answer, it's the scan function that I recommend. I will enclose a little explanation. The sweep function with torsion eliminates the need for guide curves that would require smoothing. You put the profile where you want so that the ramp is well at hand.

On the other hand, for the flattening I don't really see how. The ramp is to be considered as a spring, I have a hard time imagining the flattening of a spring. If you crush it and put the coils jointed you will not be any further ahead. The surface flattening function (available only with the Premium version) after defining a flattening plane, unfolds a surface giving plastic deformation rates in the event of a non-developable surface. But in your case the surface will step on each other, it won't work. I fear that apart from the bending of the 50 x 10 dish on the edge there is no solution.

rampe.pdf
2 Likes

I add the solidworks 2019 file, the site does not allow to attach more than one file .... (it's clever)

main_courante.sldprt
1 Like

Thank you very much!

It will be flat bending in this case! (I found the idea of doing it in sheet metal weird anyway)

Thank you for the tutorial, I'll keep it under my belt it will be useful to me. In the case of my staircase it's more particular, it wasn't me who created it but the mason, my boss had it raised with a 3D Laser but it doesn't have a curve or constant revolution as a result.

to illustrate that this is possible via surface flattening

See attached image

Front view

Top view

Top view with flat (unfolded)

unfolded flat front view

unfolded alone 

here is nothing +

@+ ;-)

Totally agree with GT22 (from Paimpol?) in the case of the part presented. Its flattening is easily understandable since the part was initially in the form of a flat sheet metal. But for a spring, as for the ramp that interests us, the initial presentation is a straight thread, or profile. You don't need Solidworks to get to this point. Any other starting point seems to me to be wrong. There is no other solution than bending on a jig.

On the other hand, if the ramp is less than one turn, it can be imagined to cut a kind of ellipse arc , and then to deform it out of its plane. But I don't even dare to think about the material part, the fall will represent more than 90%, nor about the aesthetics of the result, the risk of being ugly is more than certain.

1 Like

Yes I agree Pierre, but since my boss bought his new toy he wants to have everything cut with a laser... I managed to get him to change his mind about doing it in sheet metal.