Replace a part or part assembly in multiple assemblies

Hello Madam, Sir,

I have a hundred furniture assemblies where I would like to replace a four-leg assembly. They will have exactly the same constraint and the same shape to a detail ready, the height.

Apart from replacing them one part I haven't found any other solution on the net :expressionless:

Anyone have a solution for this kind of situation?

Sincerely, Valentine.

Hello;

Why one by one?

You can add several occurrences in the " Selection " area
Or check the " All occurrences" box (Warning: this option remains in the last state used for future replacements )

Kind regards.

2 Likes

You make an assembly with all your furniture concerned, then replace only once by editing a piece of furniture from the assembly with all the furniture, checking replace all occurrences.

4 Likes

Otherwise rename or " temporarily " move the foot to be replaced, in this way Solidworks will systematically ask to search for it, all that remains is to point to the new replacement foot.

If you have MyCadTools, the " Depedencies " tool can do the job for you...

1 Like

Hello!

Thank you for your answer!

I've already tried but my PC doesn't support so many assemblies in a single file, above 6-7 it becomes complicated so a hundred :sweat_smile:

I remembered that with mycadtool there was a feature for that, it was removed? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

See the answer and the link to @Maclane just above! :crazy_face:

Otherwise, another solution: take the old assembly and put it in red, bright green or other easily repairable colors, with an annotation to be replaced by with the link to the new assembly.
Every time you open a piece of furniture with the offending assembly, it quickly comes out to the eye and you replace it with the new one.

Hello
and create a new assembly with the right foot height that will have the same name.
Add -old on the old assembly file so you don't lose it and place the new one, with the same name in the same place.
Normally, apart from the constraints (I don't know the differences between the legs) everything will be done automatically when the furniture is opened.
That's why it's good to put the constraints in relation to the basic plans. We can replace everything without the constraints being removed... or almost!! ^^

1 Like

Yes, if the faces or planes do not change, it will find the ref if saved in the same location.
On the other hand, it's impossible to know what you launched previously with the same name in short or long (broken history)
The index is used to preserve this history in general.

Absolutely. First of all, it allows you to replace the sub-assemblies en masse. We open all the sets (if possible) and we rename the subset with the new subset which impacts all the open sets, we save everything, and finally we remove the -old from the first subset to return to the starting state.

By going through SW Explorer or its integration into windows depending on the version, there is a replacement function that should be suitable. You will just have to set the search path appropriately.

I'm on SW18
Right-click on the file to be replaced:
Under SW2020 and >, there is an option to set the search path

A window will appear in which the files using your feet will appear (allow time according to the number of files in the directories).
You can then make a selection if you want to exclude some of them.

Hello
You can use the override action in the myCADtools Integration tool to replace a component:

1 Like

Hello

I tried a few actions via Integration but I never succeeded.

It's really not intuitive with all the conditions and actions to be put in place to make the replacement.

I think it's crazy that we can't do this more easily.

Unfortunately I can't rename my part, I really have to replace it with another part and this in more than 100 different assemblies.

The new part is in the same folder as the old one and the assemblies are in the same folder too.

Hoping to find a solution soon.

Thank you all for your help.

Kind regards

Hello
Why didn't you use the @stefbeno proposal?
If everything is in the same folder, SW will get away with it very easily when renaming the file to apply the link change.

3 Likes

Hello;

The Check-in tool doesn't really require any conditions to perform this type of override.
=>A " Systematic " condition associated with a " Blend " selection filter
=> Then an Operation: " Replace a component "

should be more than enough.

The key is to select only the assemblies in which the substitution must be made.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Thank you Cyril!

I was so focused on integration that I didn't even try that option ^^'

It worked, it's perfect. I still have to reopen all my 3D to do the update but it's still much faster.

Thanks for everything!

Kind regards