Replace a part with an assembly on a drawing?

Hello

I'm going to have to do a big update operation on a range of components, which were until now .sldprt files. These Components will become assemblies, but the item codes must remain the same. The problem is that .slddrw plans must keep the same number but change the source file.

Given the amount of work (several hundred plans!) I would really like to optimize the procedure of this operation, but I have 2 problems:

- SolidWorks does not agree to replace an sldprt reference with an sldasm for a drawing ("prohibited operation")

- I considered deleting the existing plans and re-generating them by duplicating the sldasm "template" file with its drawing (which would be the most efficient), but since the plans are referenced in the PDM, they can neither be deleted nor replaced...

For the moment the only solution that works is: open the drawing / delete the views / Create the assembly views with their annotations. But I can't see myself doing it like that for the totality!

Do you have an idea? Thanks in advance!

You can't replace when the mep is open but you can modify the file called during the opening operation: file / open / select the mep / "References" button / choose the asm / validate / open.

On the other hand, all the dimensions will be clear, if the orientation of the asm is not that of the prt, the views will be in bulk.
Advantage, it must be automatable with a macro.

I'm surprised that we can't tell EPDM that one MEP replaces another (even if it means making a hint?).

2 Likes

This is the procedure I tried when I opened the plan, but Solidworks did not agree to replace a sldprt with a sldasm.

Indeed there is a high risk that I will not be able to recover either the views or the ratings...

To the flute, then the other method could be, once the mep is opened, to do "tools/replace the model".

1 Like

Hello

It is possible to replace a part with an assembly on a drawing. Just go to the front view then right click and use "Replace model"  then "Browse" choose your ASM  validate and that's it.

may the force be with you.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answers.

I have already used this function, but it seems to me that there is much less loss of dimensions by replacing the model following the 1st procedure.

Do you think it is possible to define a "plan template" (with view, dimensions and tables), to be applied on a blank sheet of paper (after deleting the existing views)?

[quote]

- I considered deleting the existing plans and re-generating them by duplicating the sldasm "template" file with its drawing (which would be the most efficient), but since the plans are referenced in the PDM, they can neither be deleted nor replaced...

[/quote]

You can do this, but it depends on the states of your files in the pdm.

- You get access to your old plan as if you had just created it (in my case, it's "under design"

- You create the new plan from your assembly

- you register under the old name and archive your file and all the other steps you can have to use it

You should have a new revision of your file which will be the new plane pointing to your assembly

3 Likes

Indeed, when the slddrw file is extracted from the vault beforehand, its source file can be replaced.

Thank you for your help!