Populate a surface file from an assembly

Hello

We would need to fill in a surface file from an assembly.
The shapes are quite complex.

Is there a simple enough way to do this? We are under SW2021
We have a large amount of files to process.

Have a nice day

Hello;

Try converting your files to Parasolid. (from solidworks)

In the import/export options, check "try to build volumes" and "sew surfaces"...
Solidworks should do a good part of the work, but you are going to face many re-build mistakes,
you will probably have to diagnose and repair each file with the "Tools > Evaluate > Import Diagnostic" tools

note: do not try to "repair everything", first try the option "repair faces" then "repair discontinuity"

Kind regards.

4 Likes

Thank you for your feedback @Maclane 
The proposal seems good to me, but I can't find the import/export options mentioned

Hello;

These options are available when you open  (import) a non-native solidworks file via the "open" menu.
See Solidworks help link for more information:
https://help.solidworks.com/2020/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_OPTIONS_IMPORT_GENERAL.htm?verRedirect=1

Otherwise the options are accessible here too:

note: if you haven't already done so, uncheck the "3D interconnect"....

Kind regards.

3 Likes

Hello

It all depends on the complexity of this surface. Most probably it comes from a stl or obj and it contains a large number of facets. A retopology with simplification of the surface (software such as Blender) can be practical and time-saving . SW I think he refuses to treat surfaces that are too complex.

Can we get a glimpse of such a surface?

This is what an example of an assembly from SW looks like.

I did a few tests, but without convincing results...

I think I misunderstood your need. MacLane's answer should be fine. 

Hello;

If all your parts look like the ones in your screenshot, Solidworks should have no trouble "Volumizing" them with the Parasolid method.
(are, in the majority of the plays, parallelepiped... SolidWorks favorites), you can even, later, use the "function recognition" for drilling, repeating....
You say that your tests are not conclusive? Can you attach an example? (a part to convert -to Parasolid for me, I'm still in Solidworks 2020-).

Kind regards.

1 Like