Quote information in a sketch from an excel spreadsheet

Hello

I would like to modify a sldprt file by filling in the dimensions from excel and that they are automatically transcribed in the sldprt file.

Basically, for the creation of coupling studs, we have rules to follow and some dimensions depend on the others.

To also allow occasional SOLIDWORKS users we would like the user to fill in the Excel file and this create (or modify) an SLDPRT file automatically.

Thank you in advance for your answers, hoping to have been clear.

Hello

A priori, if I understand correctly, it is simply a part controlled by an Excel file? For this, this is the configuration function that you need to use. You put your formulas in your Excel table and each of the columns corresponds to a dimension of your sketch, your functions, etc ...

Kind regards

6 Likes

Hello

Thank you for the answer, it already advances me in the construction of the Excel file, but after how do you link the Excel to the SLDPRT, is it done in the configuration function?

For you 2 solutions:

1. The 1st solution is to create equations in an assembly that drive your sides and you check link to the external file. (.txt file that drives everything)
  2. In the Mycad tools you have pilotAssembly which can allow you to achieve what you want: https://help.visiativ.com/mycadtools/2020/fr/PilotAssembly.html
1 Like

The 3rd family of parts was missing, which is surely the simplest!

1 Like

Hello again,

In the SOLIDWORKS tutorials by clicking on "?" , you have access to a whole range of lessons including the "Part Families" tutorial. This should help you a lot.

Otherwise you'll find lots of tutorials on the net.

Good luck!

Kind regards

tuto_sw.png
3 Likes

No, the family of parts does not suit us because the studs to be created are not standard but are still governed by rules that must be respected.

It is therefore not possible to create a library of parts because the diameter and length will not be standard but will depend on each coupling

I think Pilot Assembly should answer my problem, but not sure that I have access to it within my company

Hello

You can test the myCADtools suite of tools for free if your company doesn't have it yet.

https://www.lynkoa.com/mycadtools

Kind regards

4 Likes

I see in your profile that you have the MyCadService medal, which tells me that you have access to Mycadtools tools for free.

To download: https://www.lynkoa.com/mycadtools

And you have to ask for your key at the hotline (unless you already have it)

1 Like

yes I changed my PC so I have to reinstall my cadtools, but at EDF it's complicated to install an app, you have to have admin rights, in short I'll get back to you once I try with pilot assembly but in view of the presentation video it should do it.

Hello

you can create a "Family of Parts" as @JMSavoyat says, it's like configurations, but controlled via an excel table that can be internal to the SW file or external.

There is probably a tutorial that explains how to do it, but in general this is how I do it.

1- I create my sketch and I rename the dimensions with names that go well.
2-I create my functions, which I also name.
3-I create a part family (Insert / Table / Room family), as a source I choose "Automatic Creation"
4- In the next window I choose what I want to configure.
5- an Excel window opens in SW (be careful, when you click in the void it closes and updates your part)

When you want to edit your excel table, I advise you to open in a new window to have the complete Excel interface.

2 Likes