3D Scanner Intelligence

Hi all

We are in the process of inquiring about buying a 3D scanner
We have a few commercial parts that our suppliers cannot provide us with in 3D
In order to achieve a realistic layout and detect manufacturing problems, it is necessary to represent them in our assemblies.

Not knowing much about it,
I turn to the community:)

No large items to scan (chair/table/...)
Ideally handheld scanner
Compatible with Solidworks
Accuracy ~1mm

What budget should we provide?

Have a good day to you

Hello@sjolly_TRI

See these links among others

https://shop.laserscanning-europe.com/Louer-un-scanner-3D-ARTEC-LEO

https://www.cadvision.fr/video/video-scanner-3d-artec-leo-solidworks-world-2018

@+

1 Like

Given your need (simple and occasional scanning), wouldn't it be more interesting to go through a service provider?
Cost of the service provider to be compared with the purchase/rental of the equipment, the training in the software, the time of implementation

4 Likes

Hello, it's not my field but also pay attention to the possibilities of the software associated with the scanner.

For example under CATIA if like me just MD2 license it is impossible to open an stl.

If the file and a point cloud you also need additional modules and the work on a point cloud is heavy.

Ideally, the software associated with the scanner should provide a closed surface in a format that can be used by your CAD software

1 Like

Hello

There is this company that has a good 3D scan

https://store.structure.io/buy/structure-sensor-mark-ii

I buy them, you have the possibility to use it on pc or other system with the different cables that provide,

The definition is very good, I used it for my part to scan people, chairs, small objects, and the definition is really precise, to the point that you can see even the texture of a person's beard... on the other hand, not all of them can take what is transparent...

The linked version is the new version, I have the old :), so maybe they solved the transparency problem with the new version

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers,

We will study your proposals with resellers and service providers.

To see the price of a rental/service, especially if there is a need for processing to get an STL type file or other... (cost of additional service/training)

The idea of the Sensor Mark is nice and affordable
@Centor on your version, the Core structure?, you can't do scans only in fixed position? 
Export to XXX via the SKANECT 3D software ?

Hello

@sjoty_TRI when I used it for the first time, I was on a portal PC, which had a 2-core processor,

for the scan I have a tablet version, so it's plugged into the tablet, and when I do the scan I have the scanned plug fixed on the tablet,
thanks to this I can scan by moving, there is a support provided with it to adapt it to a tablet version PC or an Ipad version tablet

To use it where you need the software indicated in their documentation, when you receive the scanner if I remember correctly, you have all the information of what needs to be installed.

The scan is almost directly transcribed on the Skanect spell, then you can directly export it to STL
On the other hand, the one I really scanned all at the mm, so there was a lot of geometry that takes into account, down to a hair of beard, or a fold of clothing, a shirt button, etc...

Before you start scanning you have to choose  one of the 3 variants in the Skanect program, either scan a small object, an object or a person, you can also scan an entire room of 6m x 6m... On the other hand from what I know, on the Ipad version you have a little more option than on the PC version, I think it shows it on their site

On the other hand I saw that they have a new version, I unfortunately don't know the new features of the new version of the scanner and the software

I remain available in case of questions

3 Likes

@Centor

I am interested in this scanner for my site manager.

https://store.structure.io/buy/structure-sensor-mark-ii

And it's easy to retrieve the point cloud in SolidWorks and work directly on it???

it only works on ipad tablet??

may the force be with you.

1 Like

Hello

@OBI WAN on the manufacturer's website in the developers page you can find information for Android:

https://structure.io/developers

To check with him according to the model that it works well but a priori it should do it.

2 Likes

WAN @OBI

Using the software provided, you can easily retrieve the scanned parts and in addition it is very accurate,
On the other hand, when I used it for the first time, I didn't have the necessary module for the recognition of the various faces
I don't know the name anymore. It's a module when I had the 2010 version that I didn't have in the standard version,
so I don't know if they put it in the new version

For its operation, you can connect it to the Ipad because originally it is a socket for Ipad,
but you can also connect it to a tablet PC, or PC with the hacker USB cable that you can buy in accessory
on the other hand if you are interested, I advise you to buy the scanner, the cable at the same time and the accessories you want,
because their fees are quite high I think :s, after I don't know if there is another company where you can buy it:)
https://store.structure.io/buy/accessories

In both cases you have all the explanation to use the software on both versions

I remain available if I have any questions:)

1 Like

Hello

@Centor the module it's scan to 3D available on standard or premium sw which is my case. 

If I summarize this scanner works on I Pad and Android but for Android I have to use a special cable.

Thank you for your infoo

May the force be with you.

Hello @OBI WAN

The first version the one I have, it was originally available for Ipad

When I buy them it just developed the version for Windows with special cable

For android I don't know when they started the development, but yes there could be a special cable

As I see they also launched for Linux, for linux I think it must be the same cable as for the pc

1 Like

@Centor ,

I talked to the boss about it, he seems interested.

I'd like to see how I can exploit the clouds because I've never done that. I would like to ask for a point cloud to test but I can't find a contact on the site.

Do you have a contact to provide me or if you can make me a scan and send it to me.

Thank you in advance.

PS: or if a person on the forum has a point cloud from a scan I'm a taker.

2 Likes

In a perfect mode I will need a scan of the front of a car for example, it corresponds to the size of the parts scanned on site.

May the force be with you.

Hello @OBI WAN,

I had to recommend the cable to use the scanner, I'm still waiting for it right now

But as soon as I receive it I'll post a file of an object that I'll scan so you can test it

2 Likes

@Centor ,

really very nice thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Hello @OBI WAN,

Sorry for the long wait, I will receive by tomorrow the order, the company where I had ordered it, sent it to Canada v_v

hmm switzerland <my    (  send = > canada) >_< found the error

and I'll make you a scan for the sent, as you can test the point cloud

I'll tell you as soon as I scanned the front of a car

1 Like

@Centor you're really at the top, thank you very much. 

Hello @OBI WAN,

Here as agreed, I attach 3 scanned files of different size,

That way you can get an idea and see if it works on your solidworks

Good afternoon

objet_scanne.zip
1 Like

@Centor ,

Thank you very much, it's really super nice.

I'll look into it as soon as possible and I'll keep you informed.

1 Like