Cylindrical Repeat

Hi all

I need to repeat a drilling function (or at least a material removal) on a portion of a cylinder:

My problem: put as many holes as possible without making a ch###r.
Currently, I have made a linear repetition of a circular repetition but it would be necessary to be able to combine the 2 into a single function to be able to exclude the occurrences that will fall into the void in particular.

I've looked at variable repetition but I feel like I'm going to spend (way) too much time on it.

Do you have a tip?

1 Like

Hi @ stefbeno

Testing one via repetition per area 

with the settings options you should be able to get by

@+

PS:

mostly do face repetitions ;-)

otherwise your pc hasn't finished running ;-)

4 Likes

Hello

Why not do an unfolded and then a repetition according to your need and folded. It should work.

1 Like

Hello

You also have the "CreatePoints" tool in myCADtools which allows you to create points on surfaces/faces/along edges.

See the documentation here:

https://help.visiativ.com/mycadtools/2020/fr/Generationdepointssuruneseriedes.html

Otherwise, as @gt22 said, the "Repeat in a Zone" function but you have to find the right settings.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Hello
Zone repetition only works on a flat face.
The problem is the shape stems from a winding followed by a shell function.

Can you mail your parasolid part please

and explain to me what you want

that I test some walkthrough

@+

1 Like

Thanks GT22, I'm doing this on Monday.

Hello

Normally, it would be enough to convert the part into sheet metal, then unfold it and repeat it according to your needs and fold it back. 

spiral_welded_tube_perforated2_db.sldprt
2 Likes

Here is the piece (SW2017) and its step.

I didn't manage to make the conversion to sheet metal.

aspiration.sldprt

The WWTP

aspiration.step

The step you attached is a part, how will it be designed? by machining or will the 2.5mm parts not be assembled afterwards? Because it will not be the same piece of sheet metal. Here is the sheet metal part (solidworks 2016) with two configurations, one in 4mm thickness and the other in 6.5mm

aspiration_ac_cobra_427.sldprt

Hello

I think the "CreatePoints" tool can really help you.

https://help.visiativ.com/mycadtools/2020/fr/Repartitionsuivantunnombredepoin.html

You must create a 3D point on your internal surface then use the "Points on isoparametric distribution surface" option , select your internal surface and then the created point. Then define the number of U-shaped points (+ symmetry) and then the number of V-shaped points.

You get a 3D sketch in which you can optionally delete points.

Kind regards 

repetition1.png
3 Likes

@AC Cobra: There are plans to do this in 3D printing.

@JMSavoyat: Luckily, I have the mycadtools. I therefore validate this answer.

It's a shame that there is not the possibility natively in Sw to make a repetition that is both angular and linear.

1 Like

Hi @ stefbeno

Although via the MyCadTools tool you find your walkthrough via the answer of @JMSavoyat

I tested various walkthroughs without the tools mentioned above

See attached image

As you can see I created an offset surface

I did a flat surface

thickened 

Makes a hole

a sketch of a direction

One repetition per area

and a deformation with a basic sketch of the curve of your profile

After that, all that remains is to redo the smoothing  and revolution to finish the piece

I agree with it better and simpler............ ;-)

@+ ;-)

3 Likes

Interesting, it could have done it except that to do a flat surface, it seems to me that you need a premium version of SW.

2 Likes

yes @ stefbeno

Indeed the flat surface is available in premium

It's one of the tools I've been using regularly since it first appeared ;-)

I find it quite practical and easy to use

@+ ;-)

1 Like