[Solved] Place O-ring in a housing

Hello everyone, I'm asking for help because I can't place my O-ring in a housing see photo on SolidWorks, do you have a solution thank you. It's certainly trivial but since I've been struggling with it for several hours...., I'm just starting out, thank you.

joint_torique.jpg

Hello

Have you tried with your plans or else you can also use your sketches. The round of the joint and the round of the removal of material where the joint must be housed. 

2 Likes

Hello

As ac cobra says, a coincidence between the 2 middle planes of the 2 parts (or other planes depending on how they were drawn) and a concentricity between the sketch of the removal of material and the one that served as the trajectory for the scan of the joint should suffice

CDLT

Hubert

3 Likes

same as previous answers;)

Creating the axes with construction features

it will suffice to make them coincident

if you have prepared your job well

you only have 2 constraints ;-)

@+ ;-)

4 Likes

O-ring attachment

SW 2017

joint_torique_vaillant_damien.sldprt

attachment ferrule support o-ring

SW 2017

virole_support_torique_vaillant_damien.sldprt

Attachment Assembling the 2

SW 2017

assemblage_joint_torique_vaillant_damien.sldasm

Thank you it's good, coincidence between the axis of construction of the two elements and the same with the point of origin.

However, that's what I tried yesterday, I don't understand, I must have made a handling error somewhere. The main thing is that I'm moving forward now. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

it is now sufficient to close the question by

Clicking resolved on the answer that solved the problem

This will allow the answer to the question for other  members with the same problem

have a good Sunday @+ ;-)

2 Likes

Ok I didn't know , it's my first subject. Well seen this button, it's not stupid and very practical. Thank you, have a good Sunday as well.

1 Like

Hello

At the top of the page, we have added a "Need help?" button with 3 videos to make good use of the "FORUM" and "TUTORIAL" sections. Feel free to watch them.

Kind regards

aide.jpg
1 Like

Hello, thank you it could be useful to me.

To complete, I found another solution even simpler and with a single constraint.

For the placement of the O-ring I create a reference point on the part where there is the groove (reference geometry / point tab) which I use for the stress by taking the origin of the O-ring so that the seal is placed centered and in the right place without doing any more manipulation.

Absolutely necessary

in this case the joint can rotate around the origin

so it is possible to move it by its point of center of constraint

you need at least 2 constraints

post your parts and your assembly

that I can visualize the thing

@+ ;-)

1 Like

As much as for me, you also have to add a constraint with a coincidence with the construction axes so that the joint doesn't move anymore.

For the displacement at its point, I can't get there because I would need a negative value.

nouveau_dossier_3.rar
1 Like

Hello

In addition to gt22's answer and your last comment, here is a proposal.

A coincidence constraint Pt/Pt blocks the 3 degrees of freedom in Translation but no degree of freedom in Rotation so you have a Ball joint, that's why you are forced to add at least one constraint between the axes (but again your joint can still rotate in its housing around the axes!).

Most of the time you will not always be able to rely on the 2 origin points for the positioning of the joint in the groove. In this case you can use the end of a construction line, in the groove sketch, which you dimension relative to the origin. This way you can manage the case of your negative positioning rating. Or use plans as suggested by Hubert.

Kind regards

joint_torique.jpg
1 Like

Yes, I saw this following gt22's answer (two mandatory constraints). It's okay I've become a pro at O-ring placement ;). 

I also take note for the end of a construction line but I prefer the creation of a reference point, it's simpler but it will certainly serve me for other constraints.

While I'm at it, you know how to display only a construction line of a part, because when there are multiple parts, the lines are on top of each other with multiple parts in assembly and it's not practical to make a selection for constraints.

Post this other question on another vom thread

1 Like

Good evening

In your interest and in the interest of the community, it is best to ask one question per post. Because in your case your first question has already had an answer solving your problem, so the second one will not appear (unless the user opens your first question). And so your 2nd question will go by the wayside and won't be able to help other interested users!

So to answer this question, you can right-click on the overlapping lines and choose "Select Other". SOLIDWORKS then offers you, in a window, to select the entity you want. It also works for entities (faces, edges, vertices,...) of objects that are hidden by others, etc.

Kind regards

selectionner_autre.jpg
2 Likes

Thank you, very practical this order, it will also be useful for the parts internally. I understand but it's not that hs since I was annoyed when I wanted to select the construction axes for the placement of the joint so if someone comes across this subject and has the same problem it should help him.