Do you feel the performance gains of the new versions?

Hello

Every year we are entitled to: "The new version of solidworks is significantly faster than the previous ones". We even had "the shots open in a flash".

There's also the "improved graphics performance" box which is now checked by default.

On my side, after migrating from the 2019 to the 2022, my colleagues and I, who work on fairly large assemblies, do not see any improvement in performance.

It is clear that it is not the hardware that is the limiting factor because we have ultra-powerful machines (SSD. M2, CPU overclocked to 5.20Ghz and Quaro P5000) ....
However, there has been an improvement in PDM's performance.

What do you think?

For our part, we are still waiting for the SP4 in 2020 before moving on to the 2022 if it gives us satisfaction after testing.

For your information, when upgrading to a higher version, it is also recommended to modify the basemaps with a basemap of the latest version. And I was also advised to start with a clean profile. (No profile restoration from a lower version as this regularly creates problems or bugs.

For our part, the basemap dated from the 2004 version through all the intermediate versions.

And indeed with the new basemap we then gain slightly in speed.

But after the installation of the 2022, the drawings will open in a flash. Let's just hope it's not a chocolate éclair...

In any case, I look forward to your feedback on the subject, in order to guide our upcoming version change.

Edit: I forgot to mention that in large implementations we sometimes have between 50,000 and 100,000 parts spread over many sub-assemblies.

So needless to say, I'm looking forward to the shot, which opens in a flash.

4 Likes