Find the plan that was used to make a symmetry

Hello Community,

A little bit in the juice, so not too much time to help but here I have a question.

We made a symmetrical part (by insertion/symmetrical part).
The basic piece is quite complex (resulting from a conversion of the step of a shaped piece). We had to make some modification and suddenly the symmetrical part goes into a tailspin (message that the function has lost its face or the plane).

We have the files from before the modification. Is there a way to know which face/plane was used to make the symmetry?

Hello

When I build from an import part,  a symmetrical part,  I always create a construction plan from an offset of the native solidworks  plans (right top face)  and never lean on a face, stop.... of the 3d.

You can create a plane that is unrelated to the 3D   point to it.

Yannick

2 Likes

As @ Yannick says

You have surely taken a face or part of a face to create this symmetry 

and since you have modified the basic part

You may lose the refs of your axis of symmetry

The best if possible is to reference the plane of symmetry via the origin which never moves

@+ ;-)

2 Likes

I agree with you on the substance.
But that doesn't tell me how to find the side that was used, unless there's a SW plant somewhere...

before making your modifications to the base part

You had a piece on which du asked him to make a symmetry

This symmetrical piece is found somewhere at a certain distance

so your axis of symmetry must be between your part and its symmetry

@+

show us at least a picture

1 Like

You can recreate a plane that will be  the plane of symmetry

Edit your symmetry function, and point to this new plane.

1 Like

Thanks @GT22, we sometimes forget that a simple geometric reasoning is behind a lot of things in our use of CAD.
We have a confidentiality problem so it's not possible to put an image.

@Yannick.petit: this is our last resort, we would like to find it in the same place without needing to do any manipulation.