Backup Drawing

Hello

A simple question I think but I can't find a solution.

I have a drawing referring to a complex asser assembly. When I say complex, it's in relation to the backup time of this assembly. Asser long.

So on this drawing, I'm making a minor change, for example, a note change.

When saving this drawing, Solidworks asks me to also save all the referenced documents even though I don't need them at all.

The backup time is very long for a change that does not concern the assembly.

Attached, the message displayed. I can't uncheck external references .

What do you think?

Thank you

capture.jpg

From memory, as soon as you make a change, it makes the link up to the bottom level to be sure that everything is up to date. Even if it does not concern the room in question.

1 Like

Hello

You can also only check your drawing, and it won't recalculate all your parts and assembly!

1 Like

Hello

Indeed, SolidWorks needs to know that all the parts of the assembly are up to date to be sure that the drawing is up to date!

He is therefore obliged to open all the rooms!

Maybe you can open them in read-only: simple if they're in a single folder, but still a bit tedious...

For heavy assembly drawings, you can save your drawings as "detached drawings".

This happens when you save the first time, or you have to save-under on an existing drawing, by selecting "Datached drawing" (see image).

This allows you not to load the 3D model for minor modifications.

SW help page on this topic: http://help.solidworks.com/2012/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/Detached_Drawings.htm?id=2fe42cd8bb0a44a2baeae65f00e019c4

Experience shows that this is a method to be reserved for the plans of the heaviest assemblies. It should not be generalized to all your plans.

screenshot332.jpg
1 Like

In fact, I don't mind the assembly loading when the drawing is opened.

This allows me to check if everything is ok.

What I don't understand is that at the time of saving, why do I have to save the assembly when I haven't made any changes to it?

The only change was on the drawing. I want to save the drawing file and nothing else.

I can't uncheck the references (see attached photo).

capture.jpg

Hello

regarding the registration time of the ASM, it is preferable to break or lock the external references.

the same is true for the plan, if there are parts modeled in surface in the ASM, the backup/recall times are very long

Hi @ fpanchevre

Why don't you use the blocking bar once you're done with your design?

See this tutorial

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/barre-de-blocage-sous-solidworks

By doing so you will save time in reconstruction

since he only rebuilds the minimum for the visual

so each modification did not take you in theory no time to rebuild everything

who + is what are the modifications you make in your drawing?

@+ ;-)

My question is not about reconstruction...... but the backup!

As I said above, I don't mind the assembly loading completely when the drawing is opened. This allows me to check if everything is ok.

Modifying the drawing can be very simple: adding a word in a note for example.

Solidworks doesn't give me a choice. I have to save the whole assembly when I haven't touched it!

What's the point of recording something that hasn't been modified...?

Apparently Solidworks is like that, I deal with it.

That said, I didn't know about this blocking bar. Interesting for other cases.

1 Like

Hi @ fpanchevre

The problem is that your drawing is for an assembly

if no assembly or parts no drawing

SOLIDWORKS is a software for creating parts and assemblies

so it is based on creating parts and assemblies

The drawing depends on these parts and assemblies created

as soon as you touch a drawing for a modification since this drawing depends on parts or assemblies 

the software understands that you have modified these parts and assemblies

so he recalculates everything to be sure of his shot

This is for me the explanation that seems to me quite logical and understandable

@+ ;-)

Hello!

I have exactly the same problem, that's why I find myself on this page:)

Solidworks nothing worse in terms of optimization!

Sanvegarde of my drawing after adding a dimension = 30min ... (it contains 3 pages) it's just a joke, and of course the latter only uses 15% of the procsseur!! We think we dream about the price of the licenses!!

I still haven't found a solution...

Hello

For the drawing problems on SW, I only retained my trainer's answer to this question asked at the end of December 2017:

Drawing in SolidWorks has never been its strong suit on previous versions. With the 2017, have there been any efforts made?

The trainer's answer:

Drawings are, in any case, doomed to disappear!! Don't count on improvements.

Politician's answer...

The problem is in particular the configurations, the parts that are not completely constrained (in short everything that can move an asm): if the loaded 3d model differs from the one used by the MEP, there will be a backup.