3D scanning with Solidworks software

Hello

How do I use a 3D scan with the Solidworks software?

I can't take action or change it... Thank you

Hello

So normally, you end up with a point cloud in SolidWorks. The problem often comes from the quality of the scan. Depending on the solution, it is very important to set up the scan correctly so that it is as clean as possible.

The first thing to do is to "clean" the scan and remove unnecessary points.

Next, you need to use the surface tools in SolidWorks...

Depending on the scan and its quality, it's a big job...

What do you use as a scanning solution (Faro arms?)

Yves

2 Likes

Hello

The catch is when opening the file. To read my STL files, I have to when I click in "file -> Open... " change the default format search.
Just change "All files (*.*)" to "STL (*.stl)". In the tab '"Options... " which then appeared, you check "Surface body"
You open your file which is directly usable after a few minutes of calculations.

Well, I started with the idea that your scans are in STL too and that your problem came from there. If not, give us more information!

Good luck

8 Likes

I can't access the scanner or configuration. I don't even know the brand of their product!
I'm in the process of opening it by changing the import format, but the calculations are long...
If it doesn't work, I'll see to it that I ask for more information from those who sent me these scans!
Thank you

1 Like

Do you have the scan to 3D add-on? 

If this is the case in file type, you will find two options that are not normally available:

- "Mesh files (*.nzip;*.nxm;*.scn;*.3ds;*.obj;*.stl;*.wrl;*.ply;*.ply;*.ply2)"

- "Point Cloud File (*.xyz;*.txt;*.asc;*.vda;*.igs;*.ibl)

In the case of an STL we are therefore on a mesh, the use of scan to 3D provides repair and conversion tools to volume/surface not available if you use the file type "STL"

To access these tools, you will have to right-click on the mesh in the tree.

1 Like

Hello

I regularly use 3D scanning, and a Solidworks reverse engineering with several dozen parts to my credit

The first important question is to reassemble a scan in Solidworks, for what purpose. Either reverse engineering (having a volume, relying on a surface, etc.), or control to compare the digitized data to a theoretical part (solidworks not suitable)

In general, a direct report from the point cloud in Solidworks does not work, and brings Solidworks to its knees. The dedicated module is made for "small" non-industrial scanners.

Usually, you have to use dedicated software that will allow you to ensure the 3D reconstruction, more or less faithful. I work with Géomagic.

3 steps must follow one another for reverse engineering: point cloud -> triangle mesh (STL type) -> surface. Some scanner software releases a point cloud

You have to keep in mind that Solidworks (like Catia) doesn't know how to deal with point clouds... since they do CAD, i.e. work with geometrically perfect units.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you would like more information... or a hand to "visualize" your scan

Olive tree

2 Likes

I invite you to test our Tomorama plug-in . The latter is able to integrate sections and plans from billions of 3D points and organize them directly in the SolidWorks tree. The latter is 100% functional with Faro tools and should, I hope, answer your difficulties.

Below is the link to our website: http://www.geosat-software.com 

Thank you in advance for your feedback and your benevolent gaze.