Scan parts and retro engineering

Hello, I have known SolidWorks well for years but despite everything I still see some shortcomings. Indeed, I recently had to draw a fairly large piece with angles that are a little crooked. difficult to take measurements on it so I contacted a person who had a 3D scanner and asked him to make me a scan of this part, having recovered the scan file I redrew the part as best I could, Unfortunately change of plan and small modification as I went along on the part I have a lot of things that intersect and a lot of small face on my part, This makes the workpiece difficult to machine in 5 continuous axis ... Having already scanned this part in good quality, I am looking for a reliable solution to redraw it and that this drawing can be used in the ESPRIT software for machining.
I can send you the scan if needed.
I saw that there was also a "scanto3d" solution but here unfortunately we didn't take this option ...
I've already lost about twenty hours on this project...

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards.

Hello @controle_2

If you're talking about 3d scanning that generates point clouds, you need xtract3d and not scanto 3d. What is your format for the output of the scan?

Kind regards

Hello
Don't forget to specify your version of SW too, just in case.

I have a point cloud transmitted in polygon. this one has been transformed into a graphic body that I have in SOLIDWORKS format. I started on another basis to start the drawing but then I got the scan and I modified my volume accordingly. The problem is that one modification interferes with the other and I end up with a lot of small surface left and right and some lag. I can no longer do certain operations without postponing everything and making it worse.
My question is whether SolidWorks 2024 has a function that could help me to start from this graph and create a body of it?
Are there any clear tutorials that talk about this subject?

Hello
The ScanTo3D tool in the Pro & Premium versions of SOLIDWORKS allows you to retrieve a point cloud or mesh file from different formats.
The principle then consists of generating Analytical surfaces or NURBS. The tool has 2 surface creation modes: Automatic (more for organic parts), Guided (more for parts with analytical shapes). In the Guided mode, the tool breaks down the mesh into different submeshes and proposes to generate a flat, cylindrical, conical surface... but you keep the upper hand if what he offers you does not suit you. The next step is to adjust the surfaces together, sew them together and then form a volume. The process can be longer or shorter depending on the complexity of the part but it works :wink:
A final function allows you to check the deviation between the point cloud (or the mesh) and the resulting part.

1 Like