Groundball simulation

Hi all

I would have liked to deepen my knowledge with the simulation module of SolidWorks and in particular in the nonlinear dynamic field. I want to calculate the fall of a ball that would be dropped 1 m from the ground and crash on the ground. So I modeled the ground and then the ball. The ball is in stress (tangent) with the ground.

The problem now is how to simulate the fall from a height of one meter. I tested several things, but the ball goes through the ground as if it were non-existent. When I put the contact between the ground and the ball in " non-penetration " the calculation doesn't start.

Do you have any idea how to solve this problem ?

Thank you :)

Hello Neroz,

Look in the tutorials built into Solidworks:

Solidworks Simulation Tutorial>> Solidworks Simulation Professional >> Computer Hard Drive Drop Test

This is exactly the example of what you are trying to do (an object in free fall on the ground from a certain height)

You don't need to model the floor, and the deformation/stress curve of your nonlinear material must be correctly completed

5 Likes

Hello, what is the purpose of the simulation? Is it to have the constraints after rebound (final stage) or to visualize the constraints during the phase of encounter with the ground?

1 Like

What if you add a volume underneath?

To simulate the ground

1 Like

Thank you Thom@s, I'll take a closer look at that. I watched this video but when I do the same thing it doesn't work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnO3wfnQXLs

@Aurélien,

The aim is to simulate the stresses during the ground encounter phase. But if it's possible to do it with rebounds, it would be great. Do you know if we can do it with Solidworks?

@bart

I just simulated the ground, but the bullet goes through it without deformation

1 Like

@Neroz, I think so, I've never done it but go see here: https://youtu.be/JnO3wfnQXLs?t=17m42s

;)

1 Like

You don't need to model the floor. Solidworks does not make shocks between 2 Elements. At most, you can drop an assembly on a virtual surface whose stiffness you indicate.

You can then draw a curve of constraints as a function of time and you should observe the bounces you are looking for (pay attention to the setting of the simulation duration)

3 Likes

I watched this video, but I can't reproduce the test, hence my question on the forum

@Thom@s

I managed to simulate the fall as you said the fall, it's rather interesting. In the end, there is no need to do a nonlinear test, because SolidWorks already includes a drop test.

On the other hand, no bounces, I have to look at the stress curves, even if I don't know how to do it at the moment:)

If not, do you know if it is possible to simulate the fall of the ball down a staircase? I know it's a bit crazy, but I want to deepen this module.

1 Like

Hello

From the Motion Study, it is possible to manage the contacts between parts:

The ball can bounce or crash on the ground depending on the type of contact.

Don't forget to put gravity.

2 Likes

@Neroz, your questions are very interesting! Could you make a tutorial after your research?

2 Likes

@alain

Can you tell me more. Is it then possible to create a simulation to see the mechanical stresses of the rebound?

@Aurélien

Yes that's the purpose of making a tutorial, it all depends on what I manage to do. I'd like to succeed in simulating

• A static charge on the ball (like you sit on it) -> successful
  • A fall from a height of 1 meter > successful
  • Rebounds
  • A fall down a flight of stairs
  • A ball thrown against a wall.

I think that if I manage to do all this I will have seen a lot of things in Solidworks simulation and it could make a good tutorial

2 Likes

I put the right answer to Thom@s, because it was the answer that helped me the most.

Regarding the tutorial, I will ask my other questions in other topics