Simulation Calculation of a floor

Hello

I have the supports of a floor to calculate (effort 500kg/m²) with Solidworks Simulation. 

I would like to know if it is possible to affect the pressure on the entire floor (and not just on the beams supporting it).

I did not draw the floor which is not part of my study (I only make the HEA supports and do not know the future structure of the floor).

Thank you in advance.

plancher.jpg

Hello

I think that you have to draw the floor (a rectangle of a significant thickness will be enough and a very low density so as not to interfere with the weight of the whole or a surface) to be able to apply the force on all the beams.

Hello 

The fact of putting a zero density (or very low) is enough to consider that the result obtained will be compliant?

You should attach the floor to your beams and put pressure on the entire floor. Or create a surface (nule thickness) that matches your floor

1 Like

after reflection

if you have to have a 500Kg per m² load on your beam

It's up to you to create a total surface area of 500kg / m²

and study

What is the size of your beam? 

I'm a little afraid that your fixing gusset is light

@+

I test the neroz solution by creating a surface. 

I'm in the process of networking, it takes a little time.

For your information, it's HEA 400 and the supports are 20mm thick...

1 Like

Wouldn't a distributed pressure on the beams be enough?

The result must not be far from reality...

1 Like

Hello

If the surface solution does not work, a very flexible plate should be added (use a material with a Young's modulus of 1000 MPa for example) in order to distribute the reactions without distorting the overall stiffness of the structure (do not analyze the results on this part of course).

Now we should be sure that the load of 500 kg/m2 is well distributed over the entire surface of the beams. In a floor structure, the beams often only work in 1 direction.

2 Likes

Hello 

How do you avoid analysing the results on this coin?

Can this document not be taken into account in the calculation?

Why rush headlong into finite elements? Take a step back. take out a sheet, a little Rdm will simplify your life! only then do you check by Elts Finis! So no need to model the floor anymore you will have already made an assessment of the mechanical actions applied to each beam.

In your case, the mesh should be fast. Use the "beam" model for all your HEA profiles

2 Likes

Hello Thom@s, 

So you would advise me to calculate for each beam the forces to which they are subjected and then to apply these forces to the beams themselves?

As for the beam model, I have a problem using it, I have to pass the assembly into parts and then calculate.

I don't know why, I can't calculate in assembly mode.

See this link for beam deflection and stress calculation

On this site you can select

http://jean.lamaison.free.fr/flexion.html

the type of beam 

the type of materials

Charges

These calculations are automatic according to the inputs you give it

for example

Scope

@+

2 Likes

When it comes to beams, I think that an Rdm calculation is faster and more reliable than the big artillery of finite elements!

But your method is justified to check your manual calculations and size your plates and gussets in detail.

For the assembly calculation you will have to make a mixed mesh!

- beam mesh for HEA

- Volume mesh (or maybe even shell mesh) for your plates and gussets.

Then we have to add the contact constraints between the different meshes so that the solver faces the links. otherwise it will tell you that your mesh is incompatible or that your model is unstable.

http://help.solidworks.com/2015/french/SolidWorks/cworks/c_Background_on_Meshing.htm?id=284ce966c98b4535b83647fb26358590#Pg0

1 Like

It's progressing, thank you. 

Concerning the shell mesh, on the other hand, what should I indicate as thickness? 

Because the result of the calculation depends greatly on it... (see attached image)

At the top, the result obtained with a 20mm thick shell.

At the bottom, the result obtained with an 80mm thick shell.

The difference is too big to consider this result...

difference_epaisseur_coque.jpg

I just redid the math, it looks good to me.

In contrast,  the von Mises constraint is not displayed in the beam design. 

Instead, I have the axial and bending stress. What does it correspond to and what should I compare it to?