Simulating the crushing of a joint

Hi all

I'm looking to simulate the crushing of a flat joint with SW simulation 2014.

This gasket is overmolded on an ABS/PC type plastic part and crashes on an aluminum extrusion.

The plastic part is screwed into the extruded part.

The forces of the screws and reaction of the joint have already been estimated but I am trying to size the crushing thickness of the joint.

I attach a diagram to make my problem clearer.

I'm new to SW simulation and I can't get what I want.

I can simulate the crushing of the gasket under the stress of the screws by fixing the gasket/aluminum extrusion contact surface.

I can simulate the crushing of the gasket under the reaction force of the gasket on the aluminum extrude by fixing the contact surfaces of the screw heads.

But I can't simulate the 2 forces at the same time with the 2 non-overrun conditions:

- The gasket must not exceed the support surface of the gasket / aluminum extrusion

- The ABS/PC part must not interfere with the aluminum extruded.

I tried to make a simulation with 2 parts by putting contact conditions between the components but the simulation ran all night without success.

What do you advise me to obtain a result?

schema.jpg

You need premium simulation if the gasket is made of rubber: non-linear materials...

4 Likes

Hello Max,

Thank you for taking an interest in my problem.

With premium simulation, how would you go about it?

Indeed I see max59 again.

You work on non-linear materials with hypotheses of large displacements. You have to go through the heavy atillery! i.e. Simulation Premium!

2 Likes

Hello

it must be possible with PREMIUM SIMULATION (non-linear materials). It's a shame, I work in waterproofing, and we use ANSYS to do simulations. Unfortunately, I don't have the additional simulations under SW, and I don't have the ANSYS license on my workstation; (.

1 Like

Thank you for your answers.

How do I do this with premium simulation?

Hello

Is it possible to have your files to help you or information about possible messages that make the calculation not go to the end?

@+

See this link among others

http://www.crdp-montpellier.fr/ressources/examens/sujets/05/320/2540100/E4/U41-3codes.pdf

@+ ;-)

See this link from CETIM

@+