Simulation of a structure with welded parts?

To make a simulation in fatiqgue including welds, should or can we  leave a clearance of 0.5 mm between the welded parts?

Hello

For your information, under which software do you want to carry out your simulation?

Depending on the software, you have to leave or not some play (most often you have to leave some) after the goal of this game and to be able to model the solder seams (so that the mesh does not crash).

After all, it all depends on the complexity of your structure, moreover I don't think I'm saying but if there is an ammorce of breakage it will not be in the weld seams rather next to it.

Regards

I'm going to do the build on Solidworks 2012

I agree with Bastien, personally, I would model the weld seams.

Otherwise, there is a Weld Bead connector in Simulation (only in Simulation Pro and Premium), but to use it, you need to have a shell or a piece of sheet metal of constant thickness that will be simulated automatically in the shell.

Good luck

Mickael

1 Like

If you draw your parts with the workshop to make tubular structures (if it's a tubular structure) it's useless to do the solidworks welds, locate the beams and knots, he passes the beams in rectilinear structure and you just have to define the knots

Hello

Personally we use Simulation for statics and not fatigue, but after having tried many things, we leave all the parts in volumes (Tubes, flats, etc) (to avoid incompatibilities of styles between beams and volumes or sheet metal), without play, without weld seams (because it takes a long time to set up and calculate), Contact between components: Solidary and without penetrations. This allows for a faster calculation and very close to reality (if not true).